• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wanted Cheap ~ 1 GIG machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tim the Toolman

Registered
I am a newby to overclockn been reading for about 2 weeks on the subject. And have had minimum sucess with an AMD 500 on a PcChips board (+50mhz.) {crap board}. Want to build a build a gig system fan cooled { too new for the water cooling and pelts stuff) Please give me your input MoBo, processor and videocard.( Thinking and Duron 600 - 750.... approx 40 bucks..) If possible want to have jumperless MoBo.

My opinion? A cheap aircooled cakewalk to a gig would be a Duron 800 on a KT7E, KT7A, or a MSI K7T Turbo. Those boards are all jumperless, I believe. If you need a less expensive mobo you could go with a AZ11E but it's KT133 only, not 133A. Make sure to get a Globalwin WBK38 or a Alpha PAL6035 or PEP66. Some good quality RAM couldn't hurt either. I wouldn't count on getting a Duron of less than 800 MHz to a gig (my 700 maxes at 954... I ran out of voltage to pump through the core). The 800 is getting pretty cheap anyway.... I wouldn't skimp on the mobo though.

SickBoy

First off, welcome to overclockers.com, and overclocking! I'm sure you'll love it here - now about your question:

I'm in the process of putting together a ~1gig system for a friend, for a little over £600 (£545+monitor). Normally I wouldn't buy a pretested cpu, but I found it was cheaper to get a bundle deal with a globalwin FOP32-1 heatsink, a duron 750 guaranteed to a 950+, and a KT7a mobo than to buy them separately. Look around for bundle deals like this, they're a great way to save money (I bought from overclockers.co.uk, but I assume you're in the States). Then add a CDROM (no DVD or CDRW to keep costs down), a floppy, cheapo Creative speakers with SBLive! 1024, a good quality midi case with 300W psu, keyboard, mouse, 20gig IBM harddrive, 128MB CAS2 Crucial PC133 etc... et voila!

Oh yeah, I forgot the video card - lol. GF2MX, or if you can afford it a Radeon DDR. If your budget will stretch to a GF2 of any sort obviously go for that. FYI I found the best way to save money is to buy a second hand monitor - I've picked up a 17" before for £55, they cost well over £150 new!

My recommendations would be pretty much whatever duron you can lay your hands on - they all seem to oc great - with a KT7a mobo (cheap, jumperless, love the KT7), and for the vid card what I just said above.

Have fun!

Newbie question on the kt7a it comes with and without raid what exactly is raid {I know its not bugkiller :p .... What is the highest chip a kt7a will take...

I don't remember what RAID stands for but basically it takes 2 hard drives and uses them as one big hard drive. If you are looking to save money don't worry about raid unless you need a hard drive that is as big as montana and as fast as people drive in a state with the speed limit "reasonible and prudent"

Staz (Apr 20, 2001 09:01 p.m.):
I don't remember what RAID stands for but basically it takes 2 hard drives and uses them as one big hard drive. If you are looking to save money don't worry about raid unless you need a hard drive that is as big as montana and as fast as people drive in a state with the speed limit "reasonible and prudent"
raid = Redundant Array of Independant Disks

Look down at my signature and you'll see the cheapest and best config.
A0750 costs only 70-80$ and it works perfectly.
Hope this helps.

Whats better to overclock the Duron (600-800) or Athlon 750 ? Looked at the database seemed to me that the duron seemed to overclock better... correct me if I am wrong.... Also in terms of performance which has better benchmarks.

The Durons WILL overclock better... you'll be able to get 850-900 MHz out of that Tbird though... and if you ask me, I'd rather have the Bird because of the increased on die cache. You'll get better performance out of a Tbird @ 900 than a Duron at 1 GHz, I think.

SickBoy

Yep, go for the T-Bird, and use the Abit KT7 Board, it´s great.
As Video Card, I would recommend rather a Geforce 256 DDR than a Geforce II mx..According to me it´s quite much faster..
The new Kyro II also seems to be interesting.

Back