• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF why wont it post?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silent bob

Team 32 Folding Ghetto Hanging PC Senior
I bought the Tbird 1.0/266 but I have A7V . it will NOT boot I brought it to robjustice and tried it on his mobo A7V it boots runs fine bring it home **** !
nothing . funny thing is I was running bios 1005b and after I tried to boot with Tbird bios is 1006 , why? Did the install of tbird change bios?WTF so now I put Duron back in??? buy new mobo???:> kinda want to anyway but ... gotta know thanx all

Wow!!!!!!!!! That sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't heard of this befor.

big question: no post? or no boot?

I am assumming that this mobo worked just fine befor with a duron in it? and then you did nothing but swap the duron for the t-bird? And now it wont boot?

I am sure you are gonna get a bunch of responses asking if you seated the cpu right, is it plugged in, what kind of fan are you useing, are there any jumpers that need to be set, and the like.

What I would try is resetting the CMOS. And then retry again. If that doesn't work try putting the duron back in. If it works with the duron and not the t-bird and you know the t-bird works I have no idea.

Is your board a 133 fsb or 100 fsb? would that matter? when I boot up my Iwill kk266 at 100fsb it boots right up but @750 instead of 1000.

silent bob (Apr 20, 2001 07:10 p.m.):
I bought the Tbird 1.0/266 but I have A7V . it will NOT boot I brought it to robjustice and tried it on his mobo A7V it boots runs fine bring it home **** !
nothing . funny thing is I was running bios 1005b and after I tried to boot with Tbird bios is 1006 , why? Did the install of tbird change bios?WTF so now I put Duron back in??? buy new mobo???:> kinda want to anyway but ... gotta know thanx all

What really happened here. BIOS' do NOT change themselves. That's horsehockey. Flash back to 1005, the 1006 never worked well for me anyways.

I did clear cmos several times my Duron botts to win98 Tbird no I get that European siren sound and I cant even get to bios I cant do anything with the bird I have the Pep 38cfm combo pak on A7v

Sounds to me like the mobo is the problem, but the TBird should still boot, just not at the correct speed. This is a weird one.

You may have to set the jumpers manually and not use the 133FSB, as many are aware, the A7V uses the KT133 chipset (as do all of the early socket "A" motherboards), and therefore are not known to be able to run the FSB much higher than 110FSB. Otherwise get a new motherboard with the KT133A chipset such as the A7V133, or one of the newer ones with the AMD 761 chipset and DDR.

I have been typing for some time now everytime i type in a post and try to send it I get the "We are working on the Forums try back in 15 min"
I put Duron in and go into bios set everything to Default , memory , cpu 100 , everything and still no post with Tbird just the European Siren sound Brought it to robjustice house put in HIS A7v and it boots fine to windows , it boots at 800 I bring it home and I get that sound I am totally bummed I got this kick *** processor and cant use it . could it be the heatsink/fan?
I got the PEP66 with 38cfm fan and none of my puter panels are even on so heat cant be the problem I am stumped****** all of jumpers are set to default
votage is on auto everything in bios is set to default

I also bought ASII it says that you can get up to 20 applications I ran out after 3 How much do you put on?

Sorry for your problems Bob. I don't know jack about Asus boards, or I'd throw in my $.02. Look in the back end of your AS2 syringe and make sure it didn't slip past the plunger head. No kidding though, it should last quite a while. You should need no more than a drop the size of a BB to do a Tbird core and even that's too much. I thought my syringe was out, but found that pressing harder on the plunger revealed a lot more to go. Unfortunately, I discovered that all at once. I did manage to suck most of it back up into the syringe. I also observed some had leaked back behind the plunger head, no doubt from pressing so hard. Hope you can determine what needs to be done with your A7V to get it to post. Good Luck

Hoot

Once again, the A7V uses the "KT133" chipset. This chipset is known not to like the FSB over somewhere around 110MHz. You may have to settle for an FSB of 110MHz or less with this chipset. The 266 T-BIRDS default is 133. Try setting it to a lower FSB that the "KT133" chipset will run at.

The other option is to change to a later motherboard that used the "KT133A" chipset, or one of the newer AMD 761 or the like, that support DDR boards.

Here is what I would do.Put the duron in there boot enter bios,Set the processor to 10x100,SHUT DOWN.

Install the 1gig and reboot,See if she will at least post,I think what is happening is the mother board cant set it self up to the newer chips default of 7.5x133

If this wont work disconnect all fans from M/B headers,Disconnect cdrom,and anything else that you can, yet still run computer.I have had 2 mother boards that would boot fine and run fine BUT NOT LET ME ACESS BIOS,because there was to much drain on the system and I have a 350 Amd approved p/s.Also make sure cpu fan is connected to the p/s not the mother board header.

If this wont help your board may be bad,It is possible.

1 question can you get the duron to post at 10x100 ??/
This would be intresting to know so try to see if it will at least post at this setting,My 1.2 can post into the 1.5 ranges not run there but it can post them.

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back