• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8XAGP or 4XAGP????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alto2x

Registered
I am currtly looking at buying a new graphic card for my brothers PC but i cant decied... Im currently looking at the MSI cards with 8xAGP... the one that stuck out the most and i think has the best value is the geForce4 ti4200 128MB 8XAGP card with vivo. however while i was on the site I saw the the 4xAGP card with the same specs had better memory bandwidth, and better fillrates.... is this true... wouldnt the 8x be better.... and faster???

someone please help me out here... i dont understand this... whats the differance with the 8x and the 4x...

BTW the mother board is the MSI k7n2 nforce2 board...

Also what do u think would be better... the ti4200 or the radeon 9000?????

4x-8x are the speeds of the agp slot. DO NOT buy an 8x card unless the motherboard supports it. Most all motherboards only have support for 4x cards. 8x is happening, but its not mainstream yet, could take another year or so. Or until the noew FX cards come out. Oh, and buy the nvidia, ATI drivers are not reliable, at least in my findings.

I was looking to buy 8x also but I just stuck with 4x 128mb Gainward card. There arent games that will really take advantage of 8x video card yet. 4x is cheaper and just save money for the FX card. You can always overclock your card. :)

If the 4x version is cheaper, buy it. The difference is marginal in performance (actually its all but non-existent), and ALL AGP is backwards compatible, even a 2x AGP TNT2 will work :p

A7N8X board
ahtlon xp 2000+
512 OCZ 3200
Geforce4 4200 128 4x

when i got

Geforce4 4200 128 8x

my scores in 3dmark went up by 400 points so it looked pretty useless and i returned it.

Back