• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I smoke my 1.8a???? ("00" post on TH7-II)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OverclockNStein

After finding out that my Volcano 7+ was not making contact with my CPU (been like that for about 6 months) I pro-modified the brackets that connect to the heatsink. And now, the heatsink sits on the CPU perfectly!.... however, i think I may have killed my 1.8a in the process.

I took out my CPU to show a friend how fragle and delicate it was, and I bent a pin either taking it out, or handling it, i bent it back, but now my PC wont boot at all with a "00" post after power on.

I had artic silver on my fingers and touch a bunch of pins @ the same time, i'm thinking that might have been enough to kill the CPU.

What does "00" post mean?

It means your comp isn't even starting the POST process....

NEVER EVER touch pins of CPUs or any chip for that matter. You may have killed your CPU with static electricity.....

You could try to run your CPU in another board, but before you do that, try to see whether you have shorted out any pins with the Arctic Silver....

No artic silver made it to the bottom of the CPU (where the pins were).... gona try my CPU in a friend's asus.

I'm so happy i fixed my Volcano 7+, I cant wait to get a 2.4b C1 for $190!

You could also have damaged the board itself. I had that problem with the "00", too. Board and CPU was damaged I think it was also due to Arctic Silver but I am not sure...

nevermind, CPU and everything else is OK!, I brought the CPU to a buddys house, and it worked on his board. brought it back home, pluged it in, and after 2 trys, it boots fine.

While all this, we tried to overclock it in his PC and it wouldnt reach 130fsb, just like on my board, found out it was a B0 1.8a, a dud. His 1.8a B0 is stable at 137 on a P4B533

"Were you trying to boot at 130 from the start then?"

Because I know my CPU wont go above 125, had to see if my problem not reaching 133 was CPU related, and not Board/ram/bios related.

Jirnsum, I have a TH7-II, my friend has a P4B533, I put my CPU in his board to see if it would post (because i thought my CPU was dead), it worked @ stock settings, so then we triend to overclock it to 130, and it was a no-go. So, my 1.8a SL63X "Bo" cpu sucks.

Update:
I'm very happy with my modification to my Volcano 7+ (i took pics, and will post them sometime)

The metal brackets that mount to the sides of the heatsink have these small tabs that stick out the sides and when installed, the tabs rest on the plastic housing that surrounds the P4 socket. I bent, and broke them off. Now my heatsink makes contact with the CPU, and my CPU temps droped huge!!!!!!
was: 42C at idle and 49C load
now: 38C at idle, and 45C load

Back