• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeIL 3500 memory 512 as good as OCZ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why does everyone quickly put down GeIL? I have 2 sticks of 256mb PC3200 Ultra DDR400 GeIL that runs easily at 222mhz (444ddr). I can't wait to put these 2 sticks in dual channel on a e7205 or a sis655 board.

Why buy either of these? For every good thing I've heard about either product, I've heard at least as many bad things.

I'd go with corsair. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's worth it. Their products are reliable. And the problems they have are specific and well - documented. (Such as problems with nforce2 boards.) And if they don't live up to their ratings, you can easily return it.
Memory is one of those components where you get what you pay for. And there are lots of shady sellers out there who will counterfit brand name memory. Before you buy, always go to www.resellerratings.com and type in the name of the website you are buying from.

Here's an example of one you do not want to buy from: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2870.html

I read somewhere a while ago that Geil supplies OCZ with memory modules. I wish I could remember where though.

Caffinehog said:
Why buy either of these? For every good thing I've heard about either product, I've heard at least as many bad things.

I'd go with corsair. Yes, it's more expensive, but it's worth it. Their products are reliable. And the problems they have are specific and well - documented. (Such as problems with nforce2 boards.) And if they don't live up to their ratings, you can easily return it.
Memory is one of those components where you get what you pay for. And there are lots of shady sellers out there who will counterfit brand name memory. Before you buy, always go to www.resellerratings.com and type in the name of the website you are buying from.

Here's an example of one you do not want to buy from: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2870.html

OCZ PC3500 or pc3200 is every bit as good as Corsair IMHO, in fact for me I have bought OCZ EL DDR over the corsair based on a bunch of reviews. Also the Geil memory is good, it is using Windbond 5 ns chips and overclocks nice, their pc3500 reached 223 fsb not bad at all and priced well. SSS is using some and he bought it so he could say bad things about it but he can't it has performaned as expected.

Cisco KId

For what it's worth, I haven't heard anything bad about their EL line yet. And the line before that got good reviews and few complaints. Frankly, I don't trust them yet, but buying their stuff has crossed my mind as of late.

Silversinksam said:

That's not true!

It performs much better than expected :eek:

LOL god my spelling is bad when I get excited heheh "performaned = performed" hahaha

cisco kid

All I can say is cross your fingers and pray those sticks work for the long haul since RMA to eitehr Geil or OCZ is like hoping for peace in the middle east.

shortyes said:
All I can say is cross your fingers and pray those sticks work for the long haul since RMA to eitehr Geil or OCZ is like hoping for peace in the middle east.

don't agree as I have seen OCZ rma'd fairly with fairly decent turn around time, thats why I decided to buy OCZ plus recent reviews and user feedback

cisco kid

Ludio said:
I change that pronouncement for mine. I have read the ram is doing better in some areas. They use the same 5ns chips as the others but I don't believe there winbond like its peers are using since they claim they are sourcing in house. I have not heard much late on the rma policy and there customer service. But I still don't believe so Gei is betterl becasue the OCZ is using specified 4.5ns chips for there EL 3500 series ram. Instead of overclocked 3200 5ns chips.

Back