• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who utilizes WPCREDIT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
I just read the article about testing CPU temps at idle and it mentioned the WPCREDIT hacking of register 52.... I gave it a whirl on my KT7A Raid and it reduced my temps fairly well... does anyone else use this?

SickBoy

Was that with a Duron or Tbird? My KT7A does not enable halt-on-idle with my Duron 600, but does with my Tbird. Since the Duron is now relegated as a backup chip, it is not a big deal. If I ever have to go back to it, I will try the register hack. Maybe, by then, Abit will have a new bios revision that maakes it unecessary.

Hoot

It was with my Duron 700 currently at 866 (133x6.5). I actually got my idle CPU temp to drop below my case temp (29 C case vs 28 C CPU). This is pretty cool - I used to get weird temp spikes after 45-60 mins of running my computer. At stock speed it would idle at 25-26 C for about 30-45 mins and then jump to like 36-37 C idle and keep idling there. Hopefully this fixes it... I have only been running the register 52 hack for about 35 mins now. I'll keep y'all posted.

SickBoy (Apr 21, 2001 07:54 p.m.):
I just read the article about testing CPU temps at idle and it mentioned the WPCREDIT hacking of register 52.... I gave it a whirl on my KT7A Raid and it reduced my temps fairly well... does anyone else use this?

SickBoy

Yep everytime I reboot I reset that register 52 to EB - drops from 39 to 27C and CPU idle voltage goes down from 1.91 to 1.87

Yo

SickBoy

I just tried this. On my epox 8kta3 at 155 fsb my trbid 750 (1008) dropped 15 F when setting reg 52 however it only took EC when I put in EB. Why does it do this?

thanks

I was wondering if one of you kind folks could tell me were I can download WPCREDIT from, it would be greatly appreciated.

Yomama (Apr 21, 2001 09:04 p.m.):

SickBoy

Yep everytime I reboot I reset that register 52 to EB - drops from 39 to 27C and CPU idle voltage goes down from 1.91 to 1.87

Yo

I don't think you need to do that everytime you restart. Atleast I don't and whenever I start up WPCREDIT it always says EB for 52. Did you do the WPRSET? Becuase I think that's what Saves it to Your Bios...Not for sure though. If I'm wrong Someone correct me....Cause I'm not for sure.

Crispy (Apr 22, 2001 01:02 a.m.):

SickBoy

Yo

I don't think you need to do that everytime you restart. Atleast I don't and whenever I start up WPCREDIT it always says EB for 52. Did you do the WPRSET? Becuase I think that's what Saves it to Your Bios...Not for sure though. If I'm wrong Someone correct me....Cause I'm not for sure.

The 52 to EC only worked for me the first time. Now my temps no longer drop. What's going on here?

thanks

Jumper (Apr 22, 2001 06:11 p.m.):
How does one measure cpu and case temps? Is it in bios?
Thanks,
Jumper

If there is onboard hardware monitoring, you can usually see the data under pc health in bios or by using software that came with the computer or programs such as motherboard monitor.

On another note, now at my stock speed I can set to EB, but at 6.5 x 155 I can only set 52 to EC. Weird.

Is there away to permanetly changed this with a bios hack so I don't have to run CREDIT everytime? CRSET doesn't work for me for some reason.

Hugo 59 (Apr 22, 2001 12:57 a.m.):
I was wondering if one of you kind folks could tell me were I can download WPCREDIT from, it would be greatly appreciated.

i think the only thing that matters is that bit 7 is set to 1, so urs should be fine.

Well, in my situation, keep in mind I am measuring temps using the standard onboard thermistors. They're not terribly accurate in terms of actual number measurements, (this is well established) but they're a good relative indicator. The other thing is I leave one side of my case off, and because of fan placement, air circulation is probably a little better up in the CPU area vs. down near the HD's where the case thermistor is placed.

SickBoy

Crispy (Apr 22, 2001 01:02 a.m.):

SickBoy

Yo

You are correct there is another tool that runs a certain WPCREDIT configuration upon start-up. I just don't want to load too many proggies during start-up, so I set it manually - no big deal, since my system is rather stable :)

I use this on my dual-bootin' 1.2 "C" T-Bird on an Asus A7V133. It drops the Idle CPU temp 14 deg. C at idle. I use the WPCRSET to set the register at startup on both OS's. It's not a TSR, it unloads itself after it runs. WPCRSET is kinda tricky to find, I'd be happy to email it to anyone that's interested. You need the correct PCR file for your motherboard for this app to work properly. I can send the PCR file for the A7V133 Mobo if you'd like. [email protected]

I used it for a bit - but idle doesn't happen much on my comp, so turned it off.

For those that asked - WPCREDIT is essentially that - it allows you to view/edit the current register settings. The settings are gone when you restart. WPCRSET is a device driver that will make the modifications that you specify when Windows loads.

Note that the BIOS is usually responsible for setting up the registers. WPCRSET runs after this, and should overwrite any BIOS settings. However, when looking at the temps in the BIOS, remember that the idle fix will not be in effect.

CPU cooling programs such as CPUIdle and CPUCool can use Bit 7 of register 52 as well, so if you're not comfortable with WPCRSET, try one of these.

The bits in register 52 are:
Bit 7 - Diconnect Enable When STPGNT Detected - 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled. A setting of '1' is what will lower idle temps.
Bit 6 - Write-to-read delay, default = 1
Bit 5-4 - Read-to-write delay, default = 11
Bit 3 - 1ns Skew between Even/Odd Clock Group for Data (Strapped from MAB3)
1 = Disable (default if no strap on MAB3)
0 = Enable
Bit 2-0 Write Data Delay from SYSDC to CPU data output (no default value)

So, the difference between EB (11101011) and EC (11101100) is in the write data delay setting (011 = 3 vs 100 = 4). Not sure why this cant be changed though, all bits in the register are supposed to be R/W.

Is there a way to hack the register 52 setting in the actual BIOS? like, could I take a hex editor to the .bin file I use to flash my BIOS and could I find the necessary bits, change them, and re-flash using that .bin file? That would be way cool, because then we wouldn't have to run WPCRSET when Windows starts.

SickBoy

Back