• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I AM AN IDIOT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jgaud

well i lapped N bridge HS and my GF2 sink so i might as well check the thermosistor under the soket since iam in here, Wait what was that post about ggetting the thermisitor closer to the core I think it was HOOT did that DOH! thermosistors break real easy kids anyway iam confident i can solder in a new one. pointers please one question i saw a thermosister at the shack same looking as on the board can i use this to replace mine (ABIT kt7a) please thanks

TT120 (Apr 22, 2001 07:55 a.m.):
Did the thermistor break or just the leads?

yeah the blue epoxy split in half now my mobo tmps are great 0 at idle should be able to do 1.7(155x11)now hahahahahahaha (changes to crying) ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Now, i feel bad...

Thermistors are not a single value component. There are many different values. They are typically spec'd for a given resistance at say, room temp. You need to get the same value as your mobo uses to get the same readings. Let me see if I can read the value on mine with an ohmeter.

Hoot

In circuit, it reads around 8.8-8.9k, so allowing for circuit loading, it is probably a 10k thermistor.

Hoot

Hoot, I did what you said with a flat screwdriver and it worked great. I'm gettin a much more accurate reading now. They're higher than they were, but more accurate I'm sure.

Hoot (Apr 22, 2001 10:05 a.m.):
In circuit, it reads around 8.8-8.9k, so allowing for circuit loading, it is probably a 10k thermistor.

Hoot
radio shack
has this puppy wouldnt the resistance change with temp hoot? anyway this one sure looks familliar. I still have some more research to be done before i try anything. what i need is some soldering tips. I have a weller iron, rosin core, solder wick, and all kinds of tools >>>>>>>>JUST LACKING EXPERIENCE after righting like that i feel like speedj hehe thanks

Hoot (Apr 22, 2001 09:41 a.m.):
Now, i feel bad...

Thermistors are not a single value component. There are many different values. They are typically spec'd for a given resistance at say, room temp. You need to get the same value as your mobo uses to get the same readings. Let me see if I can read the value on mine with an ohmeter.

Hoot
dont feel bad its not your fault, it was a good article

[/quote]

-snip-

wouldnt the resistance change with temp hoot? anyway this one sure looks familliar. I still have some more research to be done before i try anything. what i need is some soldering tips. I have a weller iron, rosin core, solder wick, and all kinds of tools >>>>>>>>JUST LACKING EXPERIENCE after righting like that i feel like speedj hehe thanks[/quote]

Yes the resistance changes with temp, but they got to spec them somehow. My guess is at 25C or some industry agreed upon temperature.
Soldering is an art with a touch of science. After doing it for 30 years, I would not even try to begin with only words. Do you have a scrap board of some kind you can practice wicking out and soldering the components back in on? Keep a clean wet sponge handy and keep that tip clean. The good news is that in-socket thermistor is not an SMD. Stickthroughs are not too hard to work with.
I'm still trying to figure out why Abit put the system thermistor right where the intake fan will blow on it. I realize they had to put it somewhere, but I'm not nearly as interested in what my room temp is as my case temp. And whats with that third temp reading that shows up with MBM or Sandra? It does change with air circulation in the case, but I have no idea where the darned thing is located. The KT7A manual does not mention it.

Hoot

Back