• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with A7V settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PDL

Hello all. I had some time today to 'tweak' my 'old' A7V mainboard and I want to ask anyone who has done the same if they can tell me why these numbers are strange. System is a Duron700,256meg PC133(1 stick),ATI Rage128-AGP,NIC, 10gigHDD,ata66.
Before today I was OCed to 850 w/[email protected],FSB-100. I wanted to try to get to 1000MHz so I started with what was suppose to be 1.8 Vcore and 10.0 multiplier. Well, it booted but the Vcore showed 1.904???
The settings in the manual and those from the Asus site show the same thing-1.85 volts.
The next lowest jumper setting, which should be 1.80 shows in asusProbe as 1.856 and the next at 1.808(this is suppose to be 1.75) At 10.0 multiplier and 1.90 and 1.85 Vcore it will boot and load win98 but the next lower setting,1.80, gives me a registry repair blue screen and a lock-up. I am now at 950 MHz and 1.80 Vcore(reported by AsusProbe) and it is stable. I know you can only push these CPUs so far and I seem to have found the limit. Finally, my question is, why are these Vcore numbers so different from the manual and does anyone think running at a voltage slightly higher than the supported 1.7 is asking for trouble.
Bt the way, after installing a "blowhole" in the top of my mid-tower, the temps are steady at 46-48c.

Thanks for the help!

I don't know why, but it's very normal. I have the same motherboard as u, and when I set my Vcore to 1.85, my Probe shows 1.92V. So I wouldn't worry to much about it.

dad (Apr 22, 2001 10:48 a.m.):
Hello all. I had some time today to 'tweak' my 'old' A7V mainboard and I want to ask anyone who has done the same if they can tell me why these numbers are strange. System is a Duron700,256meg PC133(1 stick),ATI Rage128-AGP,NIC, 10gigHDD,ata66.
Before today I was OCed to 850 w/[email protected],FSB-100. I wanted to try to get to 1000MHz so I started with what was suppose to be 1.8 Vcore and 10.0 multiplier. Well, it booted but the Vcore showed 1.904???
The settings in the manual and those from the Asus site show the same thing-1.85 volts.
The next lowest jumper setting, which should be 1.80 shows in asusProbe as 1.856 and the next at 1.808(this is suppose to be 1.75) At 10.0 multiplier and 1.90 and 1.85 Vcore it will boot and load win98 but the next lower setting,1.80, gives me a registry repair blue screen and a lock-up. I am now at 950 MHz and 1.80 Vcore(reported by AsusProbe) and it is stable. I know you can only push these CPUs so far and I seem to have found the limit. Finally, my question is, why are these Vcore numbers so different from the manual and does anyone think running at a voltage slightly higher than the supported 1.7 is asking for trouble.
Bt the way, after installing a "blowhole" in the top of my mid-tower, the temps are steady at 46-48c.

Thanks for the help!

im not sure just got new a7v myself and having all sorts of problems....but i read another post that said two things......mainboard dip switch settings work better than bios for that sort of thing and also this board seems to supply one volt extra
thats all i know

I have both an A7V and an A7V133 and they both give inaccurate readings in the ASUS Probe, I've set my voltage to the max as well and get the same 1.92v reading. . There are a lot of people that have performed the "voltage mod" and are running v-core in the 2.2+ range. I wouldn't worry about it as long as your temps are manageable

The ASUS Probe is also know for it's unreliable temp readings, I've read that they read as much as 10C higher than actual. On my A7V, my temps are 55 / 57C under load.

If I was you, I'd kick the voltage up to the max, and play with the FSB. Another issue on the A7V (as well as all early socket "A" motherboards with the KT133 chipset), is the innability to run a FSB much above 110MHz. That considered, you should still be able to get over 1gig with that combination, seeing where you are at now.

DURON 600 @ 1100MHz (110*10)
ASUS A7V Global Win FOP32 two case fans 55 / 57C load
128MBsPC133 Micron
20g WD ATA 100
etc.......

DURON 600 @ 1130 MHZ (133*8.5)
ASUS A7V133 Global Win WBK 38 four case fans, 49 / 51C load modified case
256MBs PC133 Micron
two 30g WD ATA 100 / RAID 0
etc.......

Good Luck!

That overvoltage is universal, it seems. Does that on my Abit and propably on all mobos. Nothing to worry as long as your temps a good.

Back