• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 vs 4 Rdram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DKAR1

Hi,

What's better for performance 2x256 sticks of rdram =512mb or 4x128 =512mb? I need to order some new ram as the kingston PC800 I am currently using will no longer boot at 1066.

Has anyone had ram that would o/c when new but some time there after fail to do so. I thought it was the cpu at first but changing that made no difference. What about anything on the m/b?

Comments please,

Don

Asus P4-533-C
P4 1.8 @ 2.52
512mb rdram 2x256 4X, Turbo enabled
Promise IDE controller Raid 0
2 IBM 40 gig
S/B Audigy

Less sticks is better because the signal has to be synchronized with 2 banks only instead of 4 (not sure whether that is also the case with dual rdram channels w/crimms, but it could still be) and more importantly because you will be stressing less parts for their maximum value, thus reducing your chances of hitting one that will bring the rest down with it.

yep fizz is absolutely right. it is a rare occurance that pc 800 will run @ 1066. are your drcgs stock? that could also be a problem too.

drcgs stock? The Kingston Rdram I have would do 1066+ when I first got it. I ran it at 140 which = 1120 if I am not incorrect. But now have to run it at 3x and turbo disabled.

Anyway I have ordered 2 sticks of 1066 Corsair memory so we will see what happens.:)

Back