• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How dangerous is running at 2.9v?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNamelessOne

I want to run my Corsair XMS 3200 at 2.8v but unfortunately my motherboard doesnt have this setting, and running it at 2.7v makes it unstable, so I'm running it at 2.9v right now. Has anyone had their ram get fried from running it at 2.9? and how long did it take?

what ever happened to asus they used to have good controll over voltage settings on their boards, but the past few years their options have progressively gotten worse

what a shame

To get back to the original question:

I have only fried one stick of ram from voltage, and I have run at 3.5volts!! In a water cooled system with cpu temps under 40c, case under 25c and mobo under 30c.

The one I fried was only at 3 volts, but my temps were NOT as good: cpu was under 40c but case was 30c and mobo was 34c.

One important consideration is airflow over the ram: this seems to be more effective than heat spreaders in fact.
Position a fan blowing directly onto the ram slots and you should be ok.

But here is an even better piece of advice: if you can't afford to wreck the ram, don't do it!
Running out of spec IS inherently dangerous and far more likely to break something.

It really depends on your brand of ram. I know GeIL is stress tested in house at 3.2v and it's recommended voltage is 2.6v-2.9v. I guess the best thing to do is go to the manufacturers site and look for it's voltage specs.

I'm running my XMS 3200 at 3.2v now. :) It's been about a week. I always run it at 2.8 or more. Depends on what I'm trying to do at the time. :)

Corsair RECOMMENDS your to increase da voltage to as high as 2.8v. anyhow, i once read an article regarding issue of ram voltage..it said and i quote, "anything belows 2.9 is fine."

Back