• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie...help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rockwell

I have recently put together a computer.. didn't want to spend much so i pretty much didn't go all out
I purchased a Duron 850 and a PcParner M/B

I've unlocked the chip.. but I see no option to change the muliplier in the award cmos...
all I can do is change the FSB which brings me only too 952mhz..

is it the cheap m/b that i bought that doesn't allow me to overclock/or is this option of changing the mulitplier only available on certain boards

Skimping on the mobo is not a good idea if you want to overclock, as it is the heart of your machine. If you want to do anymore overclocking I would recommend that you save a little more and get the absolute best mobo that you can. If you read this forum for a while you will learn which are the oc friendly mobo's.

Sorry I can't be any more of a help but I don't know anything about your mobo.

guess the faster u want to go the more u gotta pay..... too bad.. I guess I'll have to live with 952mhz
unless anyone else has any ideas

You can change the multiplier with opening & closing some bridges on the chip, but I can't remember which bridges, if even at that. Even if I did remember, I haven't read anywhere what combination does what. Get a new mobo is all I can say.

rockwell (Apr 23, 2001 12:16 a.m.):
I have recently put together a computer.. didn't want to spend much so i pretty much didn't go all out
I purchased a Duron 850 and a PcParner M/B

I've unlocked the chip.. but I see no option to change the muliplier in the award cmos...
all I can do is change the FSB which brings me only too 952mhz..

is it the cheap m/b that i bought that doesn't allow me to overclock/or is this option of changing the mulitplier only available on certain boards

From what I have seen, the Durons will overclock to the 1-1.1ghz range. Since you already are at 952, I don't think investing in another motherboard would show any big performance increase and would not be worth the extra 100+ bucks unless you could sell your current board.
A 10% overclock on a budget system is not shabby at all.

Amiel

as i said it's an low end board.. but it does it's job.. PcPartner is the company...www.pcpartner.com.. paid half the price of a regular board.....
there are no jumpers and no frequency multplier settings on the board....
basicallt plug and play.....
thanks for u'r help and sugestions guys... I don't think I'm going to lay and cuz i can't reach 1100mhz..

Back