• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 vs T-Brid on front page

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Akumu X

the title should say p4 vs T-BIRD...damn keyboard betraying me. ^_^

in the ladder part of that comparrison (last few sentences actually) he says

"though Athlon too suffers some shortcomings. In particular, its 266MHz versions, especially the elder ones, are not available countrywide, besides DDR SDRAM is still much more expensive than PC133 SDRAM. "

I'm not sure about the availability of the 266 T-Bird (isn't that what online shopping is for?) and lastly, for the love of god doesn't anyone visit the www.crucial.com site anymore? DDR and SDRAM are really close in price. Or is this atricle 3 months old or something...

Woe is the P4...it can BARELY squeek by beating the T-Bird on SOME 3d tests and it's a full 366 MhZ higher clock and has a "faster" RAM. Tsk Tsk Tsk

My .02

Whoever made those comments might have had dated information... especially with the memory comment. Sounds like they're a little Intel biased.... and who said RDRAM was cheap? :)

SickBoy

AZZKICKER (Apr 23, 2001 07:11 p.m.):
who said anyone with a brain would run RDRam ?

heehee?

Well, RDRAM itself is not the problem... Dual channel RDRAM performs damn well. The problems are: #1: the fact that to use RDRAM you have to be using a crappy i820 board or you have to have a WorthlessWilly, and #2: RDRAM is still kinda spendy. I'd like to see RDRAM paired with an Athlon or a Palomino, but since Intel is so far up Rambus' you-know-what, you're never going to see a Socket A board that can take RDRAM.

Oh Well.

SickBoy

I wouldn't even want to see a socket A board with RDRAM. The company is full of pissants. Besides, RDRAM is using a 16bit bus. It would complement a 286 very nicely. Hopefully that magnetic RAM or whater comes soon, as it's supposed to be quite a lot faster.

The thing with current RAM technologies is, they're quite close to their max. speed. And it isn't enough for current CPUs.

Back