• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me with my t-bird 1ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yummy_tofu

hi!! want to know how to overclock my t-bird 1ghz.
In the bios, i can change the mhz to 1250 but dont know if i should. furthermore, i can also change the fsb. havent tried pencil trick. also, if i changed the settings inm bios, do i need better coolers. cpu is currently running at 33 d-celsius. Never has overclocking experience.
pleaze help. thanx
my specs are
t-bird 1ghz
abit kt7
128mb sdram pc133
sblive value
msi gf2 mx

yummy_tofu (Apr 24, 2001 12:04 a.m.):
hi!! want to know how to overclock my t-bird 1ghz.
In the bios, i can change the mhz to 1250 but dont know if i should. furthermore, i can also change the fsb. havent tried pencil trick. also, if i changed the settings inm bios, do i need better coolers. cpu is currently running at 33 d-celsius. Never has overclocking experience.
pleaze help. thanx
my specs are
t-bird 1ghz
abit kt7
128mb sdram pc133
sblive value
msi gf2 mx

Changing the speed with the presets in SoftMenu3 wouldn't work, as you haven't unlocked the chip. For that, I recommend silver paint, a toothpick and a magnifying glass complemented with a steady hand.

Is your mobo KT7 or KT7A? The KT7 is equipped with VIA's KT133 chipset and can't handle high FSBs, highest are around 115-120 I think. The KT7A can handle much better FSBs, but it also costs more.
I'd say get the KT7A, but as you already have a decent mobo and most likely a good chip, don't bother. You could try to send the KT7 back and replace it with a KT7A.

33C is somewhat high for idling for non-OC'd chip, I think, but I've seen boxes that run also a 1g chip and idle at 45C... You should be safe for atleast 100MHz more, but after that, I wouldn't know. Depends so much on the temps.

Also, check the code on the tbird, as it will tell quite a lot about how overclockable the chip is. Then check the CPU database for references.

You should check also the beginners guide at the front page, as there is a lot of useful information.

I hope this helps you in your newly founded career as an overclocker!

Back