• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocked or not unlocked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

collindv

Registered
I have a quick question, if I can change the multiplier setting in my system's bios (running an ABIT KT7A) does that mean the chip is unlocked, or would I get that option anyway? I ask because when I ordered the Mobo+800 MHz Duron+FOP32 I asked for the chip to be unlocked before installing the heat sink and fan. Now, any time I change the multuiplier, even to a lower one, the system will not boot. I guess it doesn't matter much anyway, I managed to overclock the FSB to 124/32 giving me 992 MHz, which is about all the higher I wanted to go anyway, I was just curious.

Thanks everyone.

sounds like your chip is not unlocked. I dont know much about your mobo so I cant comment about jumpers, etc.

good luck!

Someone forgot to unlock the Duron for you or just didn't do a good job on it. You can get better performance by using 133MHz fsb if you unlock the Duron youself now.

If you asked the vendor to send you an unlocked chip, you probably just got lip service. If you can change the multiplier in the BIOS, and no other settings will take, your CPU is locked.

Back