• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Epox 8KTA3 mobo and the power/reset switch...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

netarc

Registered
I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this problem w/the 8KTA3 mobo?

I recently unlocked my Tbird 850 (L1) and also set the cpu multiplier to 7 (L6), so that I could run @ FSB=133 and higher (the Epox is one of the boards that requires the L6 to be modified, since it sets the FSB and CPU multiplier @ different times).

After doing this, I seem to experience an odd issue in power-ons and power-cycling: hitting the power switch will turn the system on, but it won't reach POST. If I hit the reset switch, however, suddenly the system starts initializing, POSTs, and all runs well!

FYI, I'm running the latest (04/17/2001) BIOS.

I have experienced a similar thing when I put my computer into standby with STR(Suspend to RAM).

It used to work fine, but now when I hit the power button to bring everything back, the fans start and the hard drive spins up, but the green power LED just comes up flashing.
THEN, when I push reset, the display comes back up and sometimes I'm lucky enough to be able to use windows again!

I haven't investigated yet, but I think it could have happened when I flashed my BIOS to the new version or when I changed to 133FSB.

I'll have a play around with it.

What BIOS date do you have?
Are you using STR? How about 133FSB?

I'm currently using the 04/17/2001 BIOS (latest avail off of epox' website); however, I had this same problem with the 3/2001 BIOS, so I upgraded hoping it might address this issue - no dice. Also, I'm not using STR (have all APM disabled).

Re: FSB - the problem *did* seem to start occurring shortly after I unlocked my CPU (via L1/L6) and moved the FSB jumper to 133. It ran fine for a day, then this issue started occurring. However, when I move the jumper back to 100FSB and set the CPU to default speed, this issue remains. Finally, I tried putting another CPU (Tbird 1Ghz) into the mobo, and same problem - so it would seem to be mobo-specific :(

I contacted EPOX re: this, and they say that perhaps a voltage regulator might be awry, and that I should contact my vendor to get a replacement ... dang. I'm not so sure I believe that, but I might do this just to get rid of the problem.

Let me know if you find out anything else!

Fnomna (Apr 26, 2001 07:53 p.m.):
I have experienced a similar thing when I put my computer into standby with STR(Suspend to RAM).

It used to work fine, but now when I hit the power button to bring everything back, the fans start and the hard drive spins up, but the green power LED just comes up flashing.
THEN, when I push reset, the display comes back up and sometimes I'm lucky enough to be able to use windows again!

I haven't investigated yet, but I think it could have happened when I flashed my BIOS to the new version or when I changed to 133FSB.

I'll have a play around with it.

What BIOS date do you have?
Are you using STR? How about 133FSB?

Back