• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why cant i get 133 fsb on my 1.2 tbird??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fuzzy1

Registered
i got a brand new iwill mobo and new 1.2 tbird.also my multiplier isnt locked for some reason i can change it to whatever through bios.now the prob is the highest fsb that i can do is 112 any higher and it wont restart my comp.so i got it set at 112*12=1344.but all you guys are talkin about like 140*10.5 and **** like that or using a 133 fsb why cant i go higher??
i got 256 megs of pc133 ram and 64 megs of pc100ram,i tried trakin out the pc100 ram but still didnt work.ive tried it through the bios changing the fsb to 133 and also the jumper on the mobo to 133 but it just wont work.what itll do is start then itll get passed the detectioning ide drives then just do nothing.also whats the diff from my system fsb and the fsb cause it says my system fsb is 224 and fsb is 112 my mobo says itll go to 266 fsb??sorry im a newb just lookin for answers and any help much appreciated.
thanks fuzzy-1
btw i got a geforce2 gts if that would make any diff and also my temps after 2 hours or so of tribes2 are about 51

is your 1.2 tbird a 200 or 266 fsb bus? if it is a 200 fsb chip lower the multiplier to 9 * 100, boot up into windows then shutdown. switch the fsb jumper to 133 fsb position then power up your comp.

you'll probably want to dump that 100 mhz ram. crucial makes good stuff mine is cas2 @ 150 fsb.

Josh

my tbird is 266 fsb and when i did what ya said by lowering my multi to 9x100 then restart then switch the jumper to 133 my comp wont even startlight comes on but blak black screen..huh

whats the diff from my system fsb and the fsb cause it says my system fsb is 224 and fsb is 112 my mobo says itll go to 266 fsb??

What you're talking about is DRAM Speed in the 100MHz jumper mode. The reason you can not go higher than 112MHz fsb is because of this; when you set the DRAM Speed to HCLK+33 (4/3=1.33, 100MHzX1.33=133MHz memory speed). At 112MHz+33MHz(4/3=1.33, 112MHzX1.33=148MHz memory speed). 148MHz is too much for your pc133 ram to handle, well at least at CAS2 timing. 112MHzX2=224MHz DDR fsb with 100MHz system bus

If you want your TBird to run at 266MHz fsb and higher, use the 133MHz fsb jumper mode and your ram speed will equal to whatever your fsb is. 133MHzX2=266MHz DDR fsb.

actually im sorry my tbird 1.2 says its a b version which is only 200 fsb.but shouldnt i still be able to get like 10x133 or something.oh ya and my power supply is an old one about a year old from my old p3 550 system.hope that helps.i still cant get to 133 fsb.

You never told us which Iwill mobo you have, I assume you have the KK266. You maybe about to find the answer on the post by Tbone.

mobo is kk266.and the multiplier and the fsb isnt locked from factory.my ram is 256 megs of pc133 and 64 megs of shitty pc100.and yes i tried takin out the 64pc100 but no diff.but when ever i go over 116 fsb or so it wont start at all just blank screen no matter what the multiplier is at.volts is at auto which is 1.85 too.hope ya can help cause i wanna get to 133 fsb and should be able to.

Fuzzy1, let start from the top. You will use a TBird 1.2GHz 200MHz FSB (12X100MHz default cpu setting) and a 256MB PC133 ram. You are aware of the 100/133MHz FSB jumper? Set it at 100MHz FSB, check the manual for the correct pins. When you power on the pc, it should post at 1200MHz. Enter the bios, and manually select multiplier 9. The fsb is still at 100MHz, save and reboot. This time will post at 900MHz, let it finish booting into the windows. Shut down, and move the FSB jumper over to 133MHz FSB. This time you will see 1200MHz (9X133MHz) and you're there. You can now change the cpu multiplier and FSB the way you want. 1.2GHz with the vcore setting at Auto should be fine at that speed. The Auto means automaticly recognize the 1.75V default voltage of the cpu. You'll need to raise the vcore yourself to 1.8V-1.85V in order for you to overclock higher speed. This is the way we all do it because of the jumper design of the motherboard. In the past, your unseccessful overclock is either did not giving enough vcore or too aggessive memory timing: DRAM speed; HCLK+33 in the 100MHz jumper setting, it's not always +33MHz. (4/3=1.33). At,100MHz fsb X1.33=133MHz memory speed, but at 116MHz with HCLK+33 enabled, (116MHz X 1.33=154MHz memory speed and not 116+33=149MHz. This link could be useful to you.

fuk it it wont work ive tried that like 10 times it just wont restart like that no matter what i put the multiplier to

Probably a stupid Question, but which Dimm slot do you have the PC-133 in. It should be the one closest to the CPU. KK266 really don't like more than one stick of ram, thet perform better that way.
You should also up the voltage to 1.8. This helps until your system is stable and burned in.

fuzzy1 (Apr 28, 2001 06:13 p.m.):
fuk it it wont work ive tried that like 10 times it just wont restart like that no matter what i put the multiplier to

only other things i can think of are to be sure you have the least aggressive memory setting before you change to 133 fsb via the jumper. set memory to cas3, interleave by spd, and the slowest turbo setting. i think your power supply may be suspect as well. unplug anything you don't need like cdrom, or you could "borrow" a test power supply from best buy.
hope you can get your comp to 133 fsb soon.

Josh

fuzzy1 (Apr 26, 2001 07:59 p.m.):
my tbird is 266 fsb and when i did what ya said by lowering my multi to 9x100 then restart then switch the jumper to 133 my comp wont even startlight comes on but blak black screen..huh

Did you restart and boot all the way into Windoze at 9x100?

Yo

Okay...Here is the solution....verified!!!

The problem is to achieve 133 MHz FSB you will have to set the jumper...the processor will have no problem whatsoever with 9x133..but your mobo will...since the IWill, as any other board using a jumper, will have to initiate the processor with the original multiplikator...(due to VIA Chipset)it will run @ 12x133 which is too fast for most processors (however some can take that...mine doesn't)...after a few cycles the BIOS takes over and sets its multiplikator...so the key is to close another bridge on your processor (i guess L6..but not sure!!!!) which will lower the multiplikator to 11 and @ 11x133 the processor will run until the BIOS takes over with your desired settings without a problem...however you can also run your processor @ 14x100 which will give you 1400MHz (obviously). So you can keep your old RAM and the performance difference is almost not recognizable (between 1400@133 and 1400@100)..only memory performance will be much worse than with 133..but here you can set the 'Memory Bus +33' option in BIOS and now your processor runs @ 1400 (or whatever you want and can manage) and your RAM @133...top performance without bridge-closing...

I hope this was helpful....

if you are still willing to close that bridge and run the T-Bird @133 FSB have a look @ this article that deals with the problem in detail...
www.anandtech.com

Best regards k-motion

im thinkin of trying that tonight,but do you think i will really get much of a performance boost goin from 112 fsb to 133 fsb.like will the performance boost be worth it cause i just bought this chip like a week and a half ago.

i don't think it is worth the risk...my system runs @ 14x100 and the ram @ +33...my system runs very stable and is pretty fast (in fact i don't know anybody with a faster system, personally)....the important thing is (in my point of view) that the RAM runs @ +33 and @ CAS2...
but if you continue to run that 100MHz RAM chip you would have to lower the RAM speed in order to keep the system working and hence you would lose the performance gain you just wanted to achieve...

You might have reached the temporary limit. Your using the 12x multiplier that is at default, 12x100=1200 correct, if your trying to go up to 133 FSB at 12x then, its probably not ever gonna post till you lower the multiplier, or get better cooling for the chip-itll run at 12x133 if it is cooled properly, but with regular cooing 12x133 is just too much for that chip-thats my guessgo to 10x133 that is 1330 -and that fast enough

Back