• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is RAID (on some motherboard)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hot

Registered
Hi all,
I'm just a newbie to building computers, I'm thinking about buying KA266 motherboard. Or should i buy KA266-R or KK266 (or KK266-R)?.
Please help! Thanks,

P.S. Besides, i heard some people here complaining about KA266 and Crucial Ram. I got nervous about buying a KA266 too.

RAID is Redundant Array of Independent Disks. It allows you to setup 2 or 4 disks in a mirroring setup or a striping (interleaving) mode. Striping gives you almost double the throughput of a single disk and mirroring keeps a running mirror copy of your main disk for a backup if it ever crashes.

IDE RAID is overrated though.... to get true usefulness of RAID you need SCSI that is capable of RAID 5. IDE controllers can only write to one drive at a time so the performance increase over a single drive is not as great as it is when using SCSI RAID. Yeah, I bought a mobo with an onboard RAID controller (Abit KT7A-Raid) but I only bought it for the ability to add an extra 4 IDE drives. If you're looking for a true RAID advantage, you need to go SCSI in a RAID 5 setup.

SickBoy

yes; ide RAID is something for people to waste their extra hard cash. get the scci RAID by all means.

Thank you all for your opinions! It helps alot.

I aggree....however SCSI RAID is a LOT more expensive than IDE RAID. It's a cost/performance issue.

but I thought i heard somewhere that SCSI hates to be OC'ed it will not be friendly to you is what I heard cuz I wanted to build SCSI/DDR board and OC the **** out of it but I read that SCSI wont be good , I could be wrong

Tell everyone who has had a scrambled HD from running too high a FSB that IDE controllers LIKE being overclocked.....

SickBoy

Hi, I think i'm going to buy the KA266-R (Ali Chipset, i think) and 1.0Ghz CPU (Chipset: AMD 750, AMD 760, VIA Apollo KT133 ). Do you think they compatible because they support different chipsets?

Please give me suggestion!

P.S. If you know any other MB and chips that work well together, please tell me also. Thanks alot.

Hot (Apr 28, 2001 12:33 a.m.):
Hi, I think i'm going to buy the KA266-R (Ali Chipset, i think) and 1.0Ghz CPU (Chipset: AMD 750, AMD 760, VIA Apollo KT133 ). Do you think they compatible because they support different chipsets?

Please give me suggestion!

P.S. If you know any other MB and chips that work well together, please tell me also. Thanks alot.

I think you are a little confused the Ali, AMD 750, AMD 760, VIA Apollo KT133 & KT133a chipsets are all alternatives for the comunication of components (CPU, Ram, AGP ports, PCI slots, etc.) the CPU (socket A) is either an Athlon or Duron and any socket A motherboard will support these processors (although the speeds supported vary by board).

If you buy a particular motherboard it will come with its chipset hard mounted to the board. The motherboard will also state which CPUs/speeds it supports.

Good luck :)

Back