• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two options for Overclocking my rig. Which one!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

synik

Registered
Well let's see here's a quick system info for everyone:
Gigabyte GA81HXP
P4 2400mhz
Kingston 1066mhz Rdram
Leadtek GF4 4400

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which option is better OC question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well now that that is out of the way let's get on to the actual question and problem.
Recently I've been doing some OCing and I've discovered that my system is stable with two different settings:
1. fast cpu/slow ram -- p4 2400mhz @ 2660mhz and rdram 1066mhz @ 888mhz (*fsb 148mhz*)
OR
2. slow cpu/fast ram -- p4 2400mhz @ 2448mhz and rdram 1066mhz @ 1088mhz (*fsb 136mhz* pathetich...)

**My question is this. What would be a better setup to use? Option 1 or 2?

(It turns out that on 3dmark option 2 is better....... strange why is that? So I'm guessing option 2 is better for gaming, am I right?)

Video Card Overclocking Question.
Currently I am overclocking my video card memory from 550mhz to 645mhz. I've tried to overclock the core too but it doesn't want to let me. (I used the nvidia driver's reference "coolbits" program to overclock the card.)

**How can I overclock the video card core more? Do you think that the reference "Coolbits" program is not good enough to overclock the card? Should I get another? And which one? (since this is the one included by nvidia do you think it is by default the best one?)

p.s. For those of you not familiar with coolbits. It is a program that Nvidia includes with their drivers and is accessible by changing a registry key. Then accessing the advanced options to overclock the card.

For the video card you usually want to overclock the memory speed, which you are doing. A lot of people have to lower their core speed in order to up the memory more.

And for your system, aggressive memory timings will usually give you more points(has for mine). Try to combine the two; aggressive timings without sacrificing too much fsb.

There's been a couple of posts about this subject. Most people said that a higher fsb is more useful.

Well the thing I can of as you state 2 gives better reults becuase your saturating the system with more memory so its able to perform better in 3D than it would with more CPU strength.

its like havin a 500 gallon pump with a 3 inch outlet. no matter how fast the pump is, the water can only flow so fast. or havin a 450 gph pump with a 5 inch outlet. saturating your fsb then running the memory as fast as possible as long as the cpu is running reasonably fast, is the best way to get the best performance from your system.

i dont have too much experience with vid cards, but i guess it would be the same as oc'ing a cpu. when the gpu fails, bunp up the gpu voltage and see if it runs stable

Back