• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TBird 1Ghx AXIA/266 + Asus A7V133/Raid = SonOfA$%(#$&#)@!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

netarc

Registered
Dagnabbit! So I finally get my sweet new 1Ghz Tbird (and it's an AXIA!) and the ASUS A7V133/Raid mobo and get a chance to put 'em together in my 300W-supplied case yesterday.

And ^)#*)(&*@! if it won't POST! Crap...

Here's the situation: I previously had an Epox 8KTA3 & AMD Tbird 850 running fine in this case, with 1x Micron 256MB DIMM.

Swapped out the mobo/chip for the new mobo/chip, and the only jumpers I fiddled with on the ASUS were a) enabling JumperFree mode b) enabling RAID.

But the blasted thing has never even POSTed, nor did it give me any error beeps (btw, I had already unlocked the 1Ghz L1's w/the 0.5mm pencil trick).

Suspecting the CPU, I tried the original Tbird 850 in the mobo - same issue

However, I'm not entirely certain that it's definitely a problem w/the ASUS mobo, because previously I had tried the 1Ghz Axia in the Epox mobo (when it was still hooked up) and that system didn't POST either - I should have looked into it further at that point, but I was in a rush to get out of the office, and figured it was just gremlins...sigh.

Anyhoo, before I contact the vendor on Monday, I was wondering if you folks had any ideas/suggestions ... has anyone else had similar issues w/the ASUS A7V133 mobo, or any suggestions regarding it?

Crap...sorry about the multiple posts to this board...posted once, it didn't show - even after a refresh. Tried twice more, then gave up ... gee, I wonder where all them three posts came from?!?

Sorry :(

<Doh!>

Redo the pencil job on your AXIA 1 GHz, this can prevent the board from posting... Clear the CMOS by shorting the clear CMOS points on the board. Try to get the Asus to post with the 850 and if it does, then swtich to the AXIA.

netarc (Apr 28, 2001 01:33 p.m.):

Suspecting the CPU, I tried the original Tbird 850 in the mobo - same issue

However, I'm not entirely certain that it's definitely a problem w/the ASUS mobo, because previously I had tried the 1Ghz Axia in the Epox mobo (when it was still hooked up) and that system didn't POST either - I should have looked into it further at that point, but I was in a rush to get out of the office, and figured it was just gremlins...sigh.

Do you mean it did not boot with the old chip either ?

Ended up RMA'ing the damn board as DOA - wouldn't work no matter what I tried, and with two different cpu's, even! Sigh...

BTW, I'd recommend against dealing w/ALVIO.com (in OH) ... they have *lousy* tech support (the "tech" guy basicaly told me it was my problem that the board wasn't working, and that the burden of fixing it was on me ... quite helpful, no?).

netarc (May 01, 2001 01:51 a.m.):
Ended up RMA'ing the damn board as DOA - wouldn't work no matter what I tried, and with two different cpu's, even! Sigh...

BTW, I'd recommend against dealing w/ALVIO.com (in OH) ... they have *lousy* tech support (the "tech" guy basicaly told me it was my problem that the board wasn't working, and that the burden of fixing it was on me ... quite helpful, no?).

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Back