• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newocz ram-lots of errors-what to do

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rj2

Registered
heres the deal.i bought a stick of ocz pc3200 rev2 ram.512 mb
corsair is more that i could afford,and reading reviews i thought i would try them out
abit bd7ii raid
p4 1.8a- scode sl63x
would not boot at default vdimm voltage
upped to 2.6volts-no problems
ran memtest 86 at spd timings
125\166-that is only ddr 333
errors started immediately
ocz tech has told me that i am at the limit of my chip,i replied that i have had the chip at 140 fsb 1-1 ratio
it is obvious this is a flaky stick of ram,and i should have it rma`ed.
this is very dissapointing as i spent quite a bit of money on what i thought was a piece of hardware that would let me oc higher my 1.8a.i am certainly not flaming ocz.i just think i should get a new stick of ram.this is supposed to be ddr400 ram & getting memtest errors at ddr333 tells me something is wrong.
thnx for any advice

how long ago did you purchase the stick? I personally would have gone with corsair. is a rma out of the question? return it and get some corsair if you can.

i just received the ram yesterday.i would have liked corsair but the price diff,is too steep here in canada.this has to be a flaky stick.
i was running memtest 86 at 135\180 2.7 volts.it got %50 thru 1 loop and the board started beeping like mad.for ram to give out errors at ddr333 & being ddr400 rated is unacceptable in my eyes
i will be rma`ing this piece

geez some people never learn!
I've talked till i'm blue in the face, er my finger hurts from telling peeps about what a crappy company OCZ is. Yet I am ridiculed for it by many! You could have gotten better ram with many generic sticks. PowerMem comes to mind. Very good ram cheap. Or branded ram such as Twinmos is excellent and cheaper than Corsair. Same for Crucial and others. But you had to do exactly what so many peeps advised against and get that OCZ junk.

Yes your ram should be warranteed and made good bcuz it isn't running up to specs. However getting that company to honor its' warranty is a diff story. You may very well be stuck and out of luck unless you complain enuff to get them to exchane. I tried their junk ram soon after it came out. First time I hadn't bought Corsair ram in 3 or 4 years. Thought I'd save some money, WRONG! I lost bout 150 bux! Do a search for that ram here. You can even use my name for the search if you want to read more about that ram.

O'well.

Cheers anyway,
Mike

He's right. That was a fatal decision going with OCZ. You really can't afford not to get ram from a good company like Corsair. I don't know which reviews sold you on OCZ but man next time check the forums here :(

Corsair and OCZ.... one company will replace a bad stick with no hassle... the other company doesn't give a sh*t. You bought from the latter :(

grunjee said:
He's right. That was a fatal decision going with OCZ. You really can't afford not to get ram from a good company like Corsair. I don't know which reviews sold you on OCZ but man next time check the forums here :(

Corsair and OCZ.... one company will replace a bad stick with no hassle... the other company doesn't give a sh*t. You bought from the latter :(

Yeah, and don't forget the Geil connection with OCZ and OCSystem. Funny how there will be someone to deny this though, and say how well it does. To them I would say I'm sure anyone can get lucky.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike360000 said:

Yeah, and don't forget the Geil connection with OCZ and OCSystem. Funny how there will be someone to deny this though, and say how well it does. To them I would say I'm sure anyone can get lucky.

Cheers,
Mike

Well, I just thought I'd step in to prove you wrong. I just purchased my second GeIL PC3200 Ultra 256mb chip in hopes to run dual channel in a few weeks. Well I got the chip, installed it with problems. The 2 sticks just wouldn't run together at any setting. Upon further investigation I found that the build dates were different on the 2 chips: 0209 and 02Q4. After that I looked for more differences and found that they changed the chip locations on the pcb. Please note that when running each chip alone, they both run at 444DDR without a hitch.

To finish up, I called GeIL the next day and talked to tech support. I explained the problem and before I could finish they gave me an RMA number. The guy told me to send the old chip back and they would replace it with the newer revision.

Now, all you guys can say what you want, but from my experience, GeIL is a very respectable company that I will keep purchasing ram from in the future.

i have already talked to ocz & they will rma the ram.it does spit out errors in memtest,but using the 3\4 divider my 1.8a is running at 2.484 ghz-138cpu\184 ram.i was aware of the past problems of ocz,but thought that had been cleared up,as for recent reviews,there are a lot.there is a review where they purchased the stick online like everyone else-not a handpicked cherry
http://www.thecrucible.ca/reviews/OCZ_PC3200/OCZ_Review.htm

Yeah ocz does have bad support and I wouldnt buy from them but I did buy from geil before I knew they were tied in with OCZ.

I ordered a 512meg stick of 433 ult plat cas 2 ram at newegg, like 1.5 months down the road I started getting mass blue screens, I finally figured out it was the ram after numerous formats, and swapping of parts.

Anyways newegg didnt approve my rma, which I understand since it was out of their return policy, I got stuck turning to geil and their lifetime warranty, I was dreading dealing with geil since I had heard so many horror stories about OCZ, and by that time knew about them and GEIL being buddy buddy.

I emailed geil techsupport and recieved an answer within 45min saying fill this form out, and well ship you a new one, and send your broken one back when the new one arrives. The memory was shipped the next day using 2nd day air, and worked great, I sent back the old chip and im now back in buisness.

Btw: only reason I went with geil is because I had problems with an xms 3500 stick that i sent back to googlegear, when I put it in my system it would count the stick as 412 megs, and gave me lots of errors, so I probably just got a bad stick. When i went to exchange it with googlegear they ended up refunding my money so I just left it at that and went with the geil from newegg.

Dunno what kind of warranty OCZ has but GEIL left me with lots of nice things to say about them.

Back