• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant Bootup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
V

viking

ok lets start from the beging i was playing unreal tournament computer got pretty slow so i shut down the computer after that the computer didn't want to boot back up i got nothing but a black screen and i could hear the power supply making a high pitch noise so i took out the power supply tried it in second computer i get the same black screen put another power supply in a 250watt ,computeer boots get through the high point crap then it frezzes. i can get into the high point bios and the bios , just before i get to the dual boot option it frezzes i never get to see the option where it ask me when winme or win2000 it stops right before that did i fry my board when power supply went bad or do i just need 300watt power supply to boot this system oh BTW i disconted power from everything but hard drives and cpu fans and It Did the samething useing the 250 watt power supply any ideas
thanks
viking

Voltage Mod on Borad Can Go up to( 2.70v)
Multi Boot WinMe,Win2000,WinXp
2 Sticks Of CORSAIR CM654S256-133C2 32X64 PC133 256MB CAS2 SDRAM =512MB
ELSA GLADIAC ULTRA 64MB AGP DDR GEFORCE2 (D.Divers 1101)
SOUNDBLASTER LIVE VALUE PCI
PLEXTOR 40X-16X-10X- EIDE INTERNAL
2-IBM 30.0GB EIDE ULTRA ATA/100 LP DESKSTAR 7200RPM 75GXP On Raid O
IOMEGA ZIP 100MB IDE INTERNAL
400 Watt Power Supplies Runs System
250 Watt Power Supplies Runs 8 Case Fans

A lot of times (read not always), when you hear a switching supply emit a high pitched squeal, there is a short on one of the output voltages. You may have a component (Mobo, HDD, Fan, whatever) that has gone into a short circuit state. It does not always happen right at power up. The offending component may have to warm up a few seconds.minutes and then it shorts out. Trying a different power supply would yield the same end-result, maybe sooner or maybe later. With your setup, I think it is safe to say that a 300W or more PSU is in order. Your original PSU may have simply "gave up the ghost" and the replacement one you tried, does not have enough "starch" to ever work right. Borrow or purchase a new PSU. That is MHO.

Hoot

Back