• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trouble with A7Vkt133a...need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wizard

Registered
bought new MB eversince I installed it have had all sorts of problems....cant find these problems anywhere on the net...sent email to Asus a week ago no reply

first thing i noticed was that the soundblaster sound drivers dont all load...when trying to use mixer get error message failed to load plug ins..can reinstall and works for one boot cycle the same problem.

Also various other problems...right now got Atlon running much slower 900mhz and slowed memory down to 100mhz and flashed bios with ver 1004 and tried everything i can think of....also it Norton reported 312mb of my memory was bad in this board....it never said that in old board...anyway took it out..

have no idea where to turn i have read everywhere that this is a great stable board. any help appreciated

Im not really sure about your other promblems.But as far as nortons saying that you have bad memory.I have PC-133,My nortons test says that i have bad memory to
I took it out and instaled it in my Girlfrieds computer which is Asus P5a
ran the same test and it that borad reported fine. My computer reads all of its memory and bench marks with no promblem.So i think it just has something to do with nortons.

wizard (Apr 29, 2001 04:36 a.m.):
bought new MB eversince I installed it have had all sorts of problems....cant find these problems anywhere on the net...sent email to Asus a week ago no reply

first thing i noticed was that the soundblaster sound drivers dont all load...when trying to use mixer get error message failed to load plug ins..can reinstall and works for one boot cycle the same problem.

Also various other problems...right now got Atlon running much slower 900mhz and slowed memory down to 100mhz and flashed bios with ver 1004 and tried everything i can think of....also it Norton reported 312mb of my memory was bad in this board....it never said that in old board...anyway took it out..

have no idea where to turn i have read everywhere that this is a great stable board. any help appreciated

The sound problem is easy. You have to disable to onboard sound on the mobo (if your motherboard has onboard sound, that is). You also might wanna change the PCI slot your soundcard is in. There is one slot right under the AGP slot that dosn't like much in the way of putting stuff in it. As for the ram, I'd reseat it (Pop it out, and pop it back in) and see if that problem clears it up. If not, I'd just stop using Norton to check your ram, and try somethign like Sandra.

i'm going to be getting the final component for my new sys in a couple of weeks, i hope i dont have any kind of problems with my a7v133

I've got an A7V133, as well as an A7V, and find them both to be very good stable boards. Make sure that you pay attention to the jumpers, go over all of them in the book and see that they are set to the appropriate positions for the settings that you will be using.

As far as the issues with the Sound Blaster sound card, I have two of them one being the Sound Blaster LIVE!, keep in mind that they use an additional IRQ, (for DOS legacy game support). On that board, you can go into the BIOS and manipulate the IRQ's settings to where they work for you.

I also agree that you should be using a proven test program, Sis Soft Sandra etc. not just for the RAM but for the system performance in general.

FRANK (Apr 29, 2001 09:55 p.m.):
I've got an A7V133, as well as an A7V, and find them both to be very good stable boards. Make sure that you pay attention to the jumpers, go over all of them in the book and see that they are set to the appropriate positions for the settings that you will be using.

As far as the issues with the Sound Blaster sound card, I have two of them one being the Sound Blaster LIVE!, keep in mind that they use an additional IRQ, (for DOS legacy game support). On that board, you can go into the BIOS and manipulate the IRQ's settings to where they work for you.

I also agree that you should be using a proven test program, Sis Soft Sandra etc. not just for the RAM but for the system performance in general.

thank you for your help..soundblaster problem was logitech mic driver on cam...when disable mic driver all soundblaster drivers load just fine....as for ram you guys saaved me some money..downloaded dos ram tester and reloaded 512mb 133 ram.....all tested good..now if you can help me with another prob since you have same board....i hope you will take the time.

using same cpu and mem as on epox board...on epox board without unlocking cpu fsb ran fine with 10% increase...FSB 146.....on the asus board either with cpu locked or unlocked advancing FSB about 100 almost impossible...using both tbird 1000 and tbird 900.....tried adjustting vcore all the way to 185 but no luck only new component is radeon 64mb video and zoom modem...any ideas???

Oni (Apr 29, 2001 12:50 p.m.):
wizard (Apr 29, 2001 04:36 a.m.):

The sound problem is easy. You have to disable to onboard sound on the mobo (if your motherboard has onboard sound, that is). You also might wanna change the PCI slot your soundcard is in. There is one slot right under the AGP slot that dosn't like much in the way of putting stuff in it. As for the ram, I'd reseat it (Pop it out, and pop it back in) and see if that problem clears it up. If not, I'd just stop using Norton to check your ram, and try somethign like Sandra.

thanks reinstalled all ram and tested with downloaded dos mem program it all tested fine...i also have radion64 which i bought when i got this board and use an unlocked tbird 1000 running the same as yours....cant get FSB to run windows over 100...on old epox board same cpu and mem133mhz ran at 110.....FSB146mhz....you got any ideas?????...also thanks for your help...got sound prob fixed just trying to find out how this board works and what are the settings it liked...guess i was to familiar with epox and not asus

There is an issue with the original KT133 chipsets, they won't support FSB much above 110MHz or so, which has been addressed with the improved KT133A version. I have read reports of some other early 133A boards being shipped with the KT133 chipset. I haven't heard of that problem on the ASUS boards, but if it's an early version you never know.

Never send e-mail to Asus....ya know why?....THEY NEVER RETURN IT, they have kick *** products, but theie customer support has something to be desired

I have experienced the same problem with Norton. Norton doesn't like more than one stick at a time. Two 128's will fail, 1 256 will pass every time. Works the same on both A7V and A7V133. I have had occaisional passes with different combinations of 128's but they aren't consistent.

Back