• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Overclocking P4 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JML

I think my amd might be dead (not sure yet) :(

I was wondering what P4 mobo can reach the highest FSB (I don't care if it has RAID, or uses DDR or RDRAM). Can you increase the voltage for a p4 processor safely? Cause I've been reading the N.W.D.S. thread it sounded like increased voltages incread the chances of P4's dieing.

Thanks in advance :D

Sorry to hear about your Athlon.

The highest FSB speeds are being reported on the Granite Bay boards, but at two bills and change you pay dearly for the honor.

I personally recommend 845PE boards. The Albatron's are getting a great rep for overclocking. I've heard a lot of good things about Epox, too, but I'm not crazy about their rep for quality. And, of course, Abit and Asus boards are very good overclockers.

I personally don't recommend voltages above 1.725 for daily operation. The chances of SNDS seem to increase sharply above this level.

BHD

thanks for the heads up BHD.

Granite Bay boards seem nice, but they are really pricey :(
Hopeful someone in my vocational school will be nice enough to let me try my parts out in a known good machine. It really sux, I really wanted to spend money on a new case and some mods for it. Ah well, sh*t happens. Would you perhaps know why it is Granite Bay boards OC so well?

the GB's are great overclockers because they are 6-layer PCBs as opposed to typical 4-layer PCBs that are found in most consumer desktop mobos. So signal integrity will be cleaner on these boards. Conversely, the extra layers account for the high cost of these boards.

ive gotten my 1.7 celly to 2.1 on the gigabyte PE667

so far its been a great board
but if you got the $$$ go for the Granite Bay the Gigabyte GB GA-8INXP is the board i would recommend

I've read a lot of good things about the albatron boards, and I've heard p4pe's are problematic (?)

Another reason why granite bay overclocks slightly better, is because it was designed to be operated with 800fsb chips, thus it is stable at over that easily.

I have been a fan of anything ASUS made ever since my early P2B, I have a P4B now and it ran my 1.8 Northwood from 1.8 all the way up to 2.97 was not stable that high but it did boot and loaded windows. I run 2.4 and it is stable as a ROCK!!.

Back