• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I overclock my computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

typer

Registered
Hi, I'm a newbie at computers and was wondering how do I overclock my computer. I have an AMD 1.2 GHz CPU with a 266 front side bus, an ASUS A7V133/550/SWA motherboard, and 256 Megs of PC-133 RAM. Right now my computer is at the shop and I'm using my old 350 MHz PII again. A few days ago I went into my bios and changed my CPU frequency to 120 (originally 100), and my CPU VCore setting to 1.70 (originally it was at auto), and I left my CPU clock speed at 12.0. After I did all this my computer would not even boot up anymore, which is why I took it to the shop. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what I did wrong, if I fried my motherboard or wrecked my computer, and what to do if this happens again when I get my computer back (that is if it still works)???? Thanks for any info at all.

Well first, if you have genuine 266 chip(there will be the letter "c" at the end of the number on the chip) you need to set the cpu frequency to 133 mhz to achieve the 266 bus freq (ie: 133+133=266), im not sure if T-Birds have a multiplier limit or not, but if they do...this may be why your not posting, you should also try to "clear" the cmos by shoting the soldier points pointed out in the manual....

Thanks Dutch. I'm sorry but how do I clear the CMOS? Also, if I set the CPU frequency to 133, what should I set my CPU clock speed and CPU VCore setting to? Thanks again

Joel

At first, I would strongly suggest, that you set all your bios settings back to AUTO. So, that you won´t burn up anything.
After this, you could start, to increase your FSB in small steps from 133 on.
You can´t change the multiplier on your T-Bird without connecting the L1 Bridges (there are some good guides around here). You should only increase voltage, when your Computer becomes unstable, and then only a little bit. All in all I would not increase voltage more then 15% over normal
Good luck, and may the gods of overclocking guide you :)

Oh, I forgot about clearing the Cmos..
There should be a little jumper somewhere on your board..luck up in your manual, alternatively u can also just take out the battery for some time..
a minute or so..should be enough

So should I keep the CPU clock multiplier at 12.0 and start the CPU frequency at 133? Originally the CPU clock multiplier was 12.0 and the CPU frequency was 100. Also should I start off leaving the CPU Vcore setting at auto? I was also wondering if I could put the CPU clock at 9.0 and the CPU frequency at 133? Would that make my system perform better than the original 12 *10 setting? Thanks

Well i got a Tbird 1.2 (266) on a Abit KT7A
if i set it to 12x133 it wont run
9x133 works and 10x133 works,10.5x133 goes wonkey but i aint touched the core voltage its still 1.75
going to set core voltage to 1.80 tomorrow see if it'll work at 10.5x133

oh sorry for forgeting to mention ulocking the multipliers...Mine are unlocked from factory, in order to clear CMOS, there are 2 solder points you need to short with a piece of wire or a paper clip, BE SURE TO UNPLUG POWER SUPPLY, just read your manual on clearing CMOS,
here ya go: actually i think 133mhz bus is 134.30 i think, ...so get a calculator out and do some math, answers for test will be posted tomorrow!!!J/K
133mhz(134.30) "times" 9 =1208.70..(which gives you the 1200 youre looking for, sorry this kinda confusing at times, especailly when I just got back from bar!!!

typer (Apr 30, 2001 01:16 p.m.):
So should I keep the CPU clock multiplier at 12.0 and start the CPU frequency at 133? Originally the CPU clock multiplier was 12.0 and the CPU frequency was 100. Also should I start off leaving the CPU Vcore setting at auto? I was also wondering if I could put the CPU clock at 9.0 and the CPU frequency at 133? Would that make my system perform better than the original 12 *10 setting? Thanks

Your system will in any case perform better with higher FSB, and lower Multiplier. Leave the vcore a normal settings as your PC stays stable, only up it, when it becomes unstable. I got confused a bít about saying you have a 266 Mhz Board..thought your processor was the same, but as I see now, you have a 200 Mhz T-Bird. So increase your FSB from 100 on in small steps..

Actually I do have a 266 MHz motherboard....so should I start off at 133 FSB like you said earlier?

ya maybe a 266fsb mobo but not cpu check on your cpu,in the middle there is a little box and in the first line of little numbers there will be a letter near the end if the letter is b then ya got a 200fsb chip if its a c then ya got a 266 chip.hope that helps.i got a b and ive only been able to get stable @112fsbx12=1344mhz i think it my shittty cas3 pc133 though cause i can boot but it then gives me memory errors.

There's a C....so I guess it's 266? It must be my memory then? I have some generic PC-133 256 megs I bought at a computer show. What kind of memory do you guys suggest? How can I tell if it is Cas 2 or cas 3? Which is the better kind to get? Thanks

crusial ram is good ,anything over 150 mhz or high quality pc133 will do ,cas2 is better that cas3.sandra hardware can tell what cas its rated for.

How come the fastest FSB I could get to so far is 120?? Shouldn't I be able to at least get a maximum of 133, since I have an 1.2 Ghz t-bird with a 266 front side bus, an ASUS A7V133 motherboard, a 300 watt power supply, and 256 megs of generic PC-133 CL3 RAM. Right now I'm running at 1.32 (11*120). Do you guys think I'm not able to reach 133 because of the generic PC-133 RAM???? Thanks

You should be able to run the ram at 133 and the CPU at 133 probably at least at 10x multiplier. If it is 133 ram even for generic it shouldn't be a sweat. (higher may not work but then again it might)

I just tried 8 x 133 and my computer still won't post???? Why can't I get higher than 120? Do I need to have the latest BIO version for the ASUS A7V133? Does it matter? Right now I think I have version 1003A. Also does it matter if I'm in jumperfree mode or not? I guess I'll just leave it at 11 x 120 for right now. Thanks

the better the memory the higher you can get your fsb

you may need to increase your vcore

I have ddr ram and I can get all the way to [146]+ if my mobo would let me

did you say you had a 266 mobo? if so you should at least get to 133...... with any brand of ram

Back