• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ahhhh!!!! Added multiplier change support to my A7M266.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unixadm

Geeze, what a PITA. To be honest soldering the components on was the easy part, it was removing the SMD resistors that was a real pain. You have to get your soldering iron VERY hot, as the solder that Asus used is some pretty potent stuff. Once they were removed I added a little of my own solder to the pads and then soldered the two SMD resistors to the board. It's not all that difficult, just put a little solder on the tip and go one by one. My biggest issue was once I completed everything, I could not enable multiplers like 10 and 11, etc. The #1 pin on the DIP block was not making good contact with the solder ring. I removed the solder and resodered it 5 times with no luck. I added flux, I was pretty ticked off. Finally I took a small needle, and when the solder was hot I jabbed it down in the hole with the pin from the dip block. After I did this a few time I could then probe the board with a DVOM and get continuity to the IC at location D17. I've soldered a lot of stuff but never had a hole that refused to let the solder flow like that one! :)

Anyways, all done and it works like a champ. I ordered the parts from Digikey and got them a few days later. This motherboard is great now.

Back