• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

soyo 6ba+iv and tualatin celeron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dustybyrd

anybody ever use a tualatin celeron 1.0 or higher on a soyo-6ba+iv with a kit for slot 1----like a slot-t or something?

is this possible?

Hi

Sure !

The slot-T adapter from upgradeware can make it. You can add a celeron to 1400 MHz.

http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/slot-t/compatibility.htm

compatible with your board.

It costs just 20 $.

Your soyo board has BX chipset, so you should know that if you go with an fsb from 124-155 then agp is overclocked. The agp divider of 2/3 is retained all the way up from 100 MHz. Many better brands of geforce can handle an oc of 33 %, as it gets at 133 MHz fsb. Voodoo3 can also.

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/6ba-4/default.asp

You can choose to go with a celeron tualatin 1100 and be rather sure to be able to go over fsb 133. Or you can choose a celeron 1400. All that will do is fsb 112.

I myself use a celeron tualatin 1100@1511 at 1.70 volt on abit vh6t. That is fsb 137. Generally one regard 1.7 volt as the highest recommendable long time voltage.

best regards

John

soyo 6ba+ IV

I have tried the soyo 6ba+ IV mobo with the tulatian 1.4 celery and Slot-t converter to no avail.

the system continues to start up in safe mode. have tried jp8, and all to get the fsb to boot at 100 mhz, but it will only post at 66 fsb in safe mode. the only thing i have gotten to work is softFSB to get the sysytem to work at fsb 100 mhz after starting windows. am thinking about getting a cheap celery mobo to replace this heap of cr*p. this seems like a bios issue, like the mobo will not tollerate the multiplier setting. have to press f1 everytime i reboot, a big pain.

soyo is very weak about getting new *working* bios releases out some time this century.

any suggestions on a 1.4 celery mobo to replace this one? will put my old 667 celery back in this mobo and set up another system.

hoya

do you have the latest bios

the latest bios is 2ba5 for this board, do you have it?

also, i set the slot-t to 100 fsb and 1.6 volts...then in the bios i use the manual setting for fsb and i have set it anywhere from 100 to 142 and then it boots funny---meaning the post screen has the wrong cpu clock speed and wrong multiplier---but then once windows boots up the clock speed is correct and so is the multiplier (11 for me) based on sisoft sandra, cpuid, testcpu, etc.....

if that doesn't work your best bet might be to return or sell the 1.4 chip and get a 1.0 or 1.1 because they are much more overclockable anyway for less money and they will actually go faster than the 1.4 because of the increased bus speed....

soyo

i have the 2ba3. tried to flash the 2ba5 and it will not flash. others in the google forums have had the same problem, and it is admittedly buggy by soyo. guess i shoulda got the 1.0 or 1.1. exchanging this processor for the 1.1 from newegg might be a pain. prolly just get a new board and have 2 systems for the price of one. have all components for 2 systems anyway. u think the abit st6-raid would be best replacement board to run the celery 1.4?

hoya

i don't know about that abit board---but most people use abit boards and I have heard only good things about them---basically i think soyo copies abit and tries to sell for cheaper...

also email soyo about the flash problem---they have responded to my tech support questions before...

you could sell your chip on ebay or try to make an even swap with newegg since your chip cost more anyway...

6ba+ IV

will attempt to email soyo. i think they dogged me last time i tried to email them with a question.

hate sending stuff back in the mail, it only turns out to be a pain in the a*s. my wife wants a second computer anyway...

maybe i can grab an abit somewhere in town tomorrow...

sba+ IV

that link from upgradeware was not there for the 6ba IV last week when i ordered the 1.4 celery. unlucky for me. i guess ill order the 1.1a from newegg for 40 bones.

any ideas for a motherboard for a second system for this celery 1.4 tuly? i have an old agp geforce 2 mx board, hd, 250 atx ps, cdrom, case, monitor and pc-100 ram lying around waiting to be put together...

i even have a soyo 7is2 board here, but that board sux and would never post for me, even with the celery 633 i tried with it...

hoya

i've heard of a soyo TISU or something---specifically made for the tualatin without a convertor...

also if you haven't ordered a new 1.1 yet---i have 3 coming to me this week----(i ordered them for some people who decided to go with a p4)----anyway if you are interested you can get them from me for a little less than 40 bones....

sba+ iv

shoot, i already ordered and received the 1.1a. if i cant get this 1.4 celery to work with this MSI 694T pro board i ordered for my second puter, i might take you up on another 1.1a.

anyway, this 1.1a rocks. poped it in at 1.7 volts and 133 fsb and posts at out of the box at 1470 mhz with my old alpha 7HO heatsink/fan combo and slot-t converter. It is cool as ice at 32 degrees celcius.

not bad for a board i bought in 1998 i guess.

anyway, will let you know if the 1.4 celery is ok with the msi board.

will try to push the 1.1a a little further once it burns in some.

thanks for your help!

hoya

6ba+ iv

oh ya, and soyo customer care did dog me about the celery 1.4.

they said the dont support 6ba+ iv past celery 533.

thanks for all the help, soyo!

hoya

6ba+ iv

msi 694T works like a dream as a second system with 1.4 celery, gf2 mx, 128 megs pc100 ram, atx 250 ps, hd, floppy, cdrom -- had all this crap lying around, and put together not a shabby system for my wife...

that board is as easy as it gets to install and post. absolutely no probs. kudos to msi!

hoya

cool, you should be able to hit a lot higher than 1470 with that 1.1 i bet---probably hit 1.5 to 1.6...especially at 1.7 volts

Im confused, I havent used an intel based system in a while so Im a bit out of touch. I have this board, and it has one of those slots, with the PGA socket 370 on it. Its running a celeron 433 mhz. Could I simply just get a socket 370 celeron 1.2 ghz that runs and 100 fsb and run that or is there some extra hardware or adapter that I need?

yeah you can run a celeron tualatin with 256 kb of on die cache at 1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 Ghz (before overclocking) for 40 bucks for the chip and then 20-30 bucks for the convertor----you would still need a convertor from fcpga to fcpga2...you can make sure your motherboard is compatibile at www.upgradeware.com then go to www.strattoncomputer.com to buy it...

you can easily get a 1.1A celeron and then overclock it at least to 133 fsb (1470 ghz) or higher if your motherboard supports it...

6ba+ IV

Just jacked my processor up to 1.59 ghz and scored 9000 3dmark2001se. running 100% stable. heres a recap of the basics of my setup:

celery 1.1a (@1.59 ghz)
fsb 144 (will not post yet at fsb 150)
soyo 6ba+ IV mobo with 2ba5 bios
Slot-T converter from www.strattoncomputer.com
512 pc133 kingston ram
40 gig maxtor 7200 hd
geforce 4 ti 4200 agp card
Alpha 7HO cpu fan/heatsink combo
soundblaster live digital
CPU @ 1.71 volts
CPU 37 degrees celcius
system 25 degrees celcius

cost me about 60 bucks on this sysyem to upgrade from 900 mhz to 1.59 ghz. not bad. 3dmark scores went up about 3500-4000.

thx for the help dustyb!

hoya

Back