• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with capacitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

I tryed replacing the caps on my BX133 with the help of a friend. Its was a tricky job to do but we got it done. Later on I took it home to fire it up and it worked but would not load into windows, I just got a blue screen or it might say the some system file was missing.
I thought that maybe some of the solder joints weren't conducting properly, so I reheated each pin to try and soak down the solder better in the hole. That didn't help it was just the same. I used the right caps too, so I have the right part.
I thought that if I had done it wrong, the computer wouldn't even post at all. It works but not good enough.
Have I lucked out on my repair?
Is there anything I can do now or is this the end of the line?

If you can get into the bios look at the health etc area and see how everything looks IE voltages . I f they are ok then you might have to look at the hard drive settings and make sure you didn't change something or connect something on a different plug.

I soldered some new capacitors on my SA6R board. They all looked good. I didn't notice any cold joints.
But the MB wouldn't boot up. I went back over the solder joints, but still no dice.
The MB would boot up before my "fix". :(

I've moved on to AMD and hope to put this ugly chapter of my life behind me.

I haven't tryed again yet. I put my good Harddisk back into my SA6R machine. When my BX133 started playing up thats when my old IBM harddisk bit the dust, so im gonna get a backup/another drive before I try again, I will be trying very soon though.
After the fix, the BX133 would not be able sometimes to load up the windows XP install disk files, it would miss some or say they were corrupt.

The signs of dying of the:

BX133 - Would sometimes take a few boots to work, then while using winXP would randomly restart/reboot.

SA6R - Has got worse and sometimes doesn't post upto 5 times then frezzes sometimes tring to boot winXP, but if I make it into winXP then it runs fine without any reboot/restart.

Im sort of hoping that someone out there has done the caps and has had the same problem as I have, being able to post(I suprised it did) but making their system worse than before, but being able to re-soldier or do something anything at all to recover it and make their bad fix a GOOD fix.

Back