• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclock the p4 2.53 on asus p4pe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

takashi

It has been a long time since i overclocked a computer, i was wondering if anyone know the optimal settings for the p4 2.53 on the asus p4pe.

cooling is not of any consern, my system has a good cooling system in it.

i am asking for advice because my friend thought he knew what he was doing and ended up blowing his ahole system.

[email protected]

i'm running 149fsb on my p4pe 2.53ghz machine... got a 512mb 400mhz corsair ram stick in there.

i've found my maximum is 2.83ghz (149fsb) on stock voltage and stock heatsink. a 300mhz increase on stock settings, not too terrible. if i boost my voltages a lil bit then it'll go past 2.83, but i'm not willing to risk it on a stock retail intel heatsink. this is all while running turbo mode on the RAM and system performance to high (or whatever they call it).

You didnt mention the RAM, which can be just as important. But as far as your CPU, it should be able to hit 3GHz (about a 157MHz FSB) with no trouble at all, and 3.2GHz (168FSB) with a little care and tweaking.

My 2.4b was able to do 2.8GHz without even upping the voltage so yours should do 3GHz with little to no boost.

As far as the RAM speed/timings that gets a little trickier and you'll have to get back to us with the brand/rating to help you with that.

in response to RAM question

I currently have 512MB of PC2700 DDR Samsung

thanks

Well then imagining a 160MHz bus, the 4:3 multiplier would put you at a 427MHz memory bus. This is probably a bit much for PC2700 RAM. And the 5:4 muliplier will put you a 400MHz which also may be a bit of a stretch. So you can probably use the 5:4 up until about 150MHz bus but after that you will probably have to go 1:1. At those speed you wont be able to run especially low timings either.

If you are looking for a place to start I would say to start at 1:1 memory and start your bus out at 145 then slowly ease it up testing it every step. When you find the sweet spot there try switching the memory to 5:4 and see if it can hack it. If all is good then you could start lowering your timing settings.

I have the same setup. My 2.53 will be rock solid at 149FSB only with 1.575Vcore. If I run at 150 FSB I have to bump the Vcore to 1.6V After that I really have to crank the voltage. People say that yea it will hit 3GHz no prob. Yea it will but with a lot of Vcore and I doubt that it will run Prime95 for more than a couple mintes at best.

Wow. that really kinda sucks. You must have gotten pretty unlucky on the cpu because I've done 4 2.4b systems now and they all do 2.9 with no voltage boost at all. And all would do over 3 with voltage set to 1.625 on my P4PE.

Here is what I do in a situation like this. Offer to build mom/dad, grandma/grandpa, or whoever a 2.53 machine. Give them a 2.53 machine but replace your CPU in the process.

You can tell them if you like. I originally had a Sapphire Atlantis 9700 PRO and it couldnt overclock for ****. So I told a friend of mine who was building a machine that if he'd buy me a built by ATI 9700PRO that I would give him my card and would pay him the difference plus another $25. In return I got a much better clocking card and he cant ever say I screwed him because he knew the card wouldn't overclock much when he got it. But I know the guy and I knew he'd rather have 10% off than a huge overclock.

Last edited:
mine runs at 149mhz fsb without a single problem, which equates to 2.83ghz

if i go 150mhz fsb, my machine will randomly reboot even when not under load. temperatures are fine. if i bump up the voltage then i can run 150mhz no problem.

I got the same system...

ASUS P4PE GOLD
P4 2,53ghz
512 Samsung PC2700 DDR
Sapphire 9700 275/275 @ 325/310
SB Audigy2

My system can run 3040 mhz but i have problems running 3dmark2k1 it crashes in the first test.., then a turned it back to default 2530mhz and then it still crashes... any ideas wats wrong now...

Well, I am having problems, then I get blue screens, at anything over 152, and I have a 2.8, and it was up to 3.23 until it blue screened. I have bought higher memory, but since I am new to this stuff, I am not sure what I am doign wrong. I have now, other thent he sig, OCZ PC3700EL so I should be able to go better, then when I had the Corsair 2700 in it, and it will not do it. Help and advice freely shared.
but remember, when your talking about some of this stuff, I am not sure I am making the right moves with the numbers in the bios, I would seriously like it, if someone that knows about this stuff, can call me, or me them. I have an email address, and just send me a phone number, so I can try to get this computer doing what it should please.
[email protected]

ok I'm assuming you know how to change the voltage or vcore of the chip stock it should be at 1.5volts you will need to change it to manual and set it to 1.55 or 1.575. You will also need to go into the bios and set the memory to run in sync, on the p4pe I believe its the middle setting for the ram. You will see 3 speed settings for the memory all in mhz, you want the middle one. then go down to chip configurations and make sure your timings are set to what you want. your timings are the ones at the top of the chip configurations page. you will see numbers like
These are your ram timings if that is not working(your ram should do those timings but if it doesnt...)try

ok thanks I thought it was th middle one. thats what I use. at least I know whats right now sorry for the wrong info on that leathersmt

OK that did help people, thank you, But I did have to turn the TURBO off, I did trun it on, didnt do any good. I did have to use auto when it came to memory frequency... I did change the settings to 2.2.2.5 and I did something else too, but I am going back and trying to raise the CPU again, so I will look and let you all know . Thanks for helping me get it back up in the late 15000's and early 16's benchmarking again.

Back