• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a possibility?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sghetti

Registered
I've got a problem. Recently purchased a pc with an Intel 845G mobo and a [email protected]. The issue has arisen since I've now placed a P4 2.4/533 in the board. All the documentation rates this board as able to handle a P4 @2.8/533, however, after popping my new chip in and starting up I was confronted with a message stating that my chip would be underclocked to a 400FSB which brought my 2.4 P4 down to a 1.8!

Now, I've looked and looked for someway to get around this and get my rig running where I know it should be but to no avail. I've tried CPUCool but it didn't support the PLL. Tried SoftFSB and nothing there either. Is there a shred of hope for me? I've been told to set my FSB jumper to 533 but am new to mobo play and don't know how to handle that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums. I'm guessing this board is in something like a Dell, right?

If it is, you might be out of luck. The 845G does support all Socket 478 P4's--as long as the computer builder hasn't spec'ed a BIOS that doesn't allow FSB beyond x MHz.

BHD

Oh darn. I've got a Gateway. D@mn! This is sooooo wrong. I had high hopes of a 533FSB and a 2.4 P4 but alas, more money must be dropped into the pit that is the pc. It's all Bill Gate's fault! ;)

Nah, this time you can blame the cow. Get revenge-go eat a hamburger. :D

There is one bit of good news in this, because its a Gateway you only need to replace the motherboard. Dell goes one step further and uses a proprietary plug for the connection to the PSU.

But if you change boards you will need to cut out the I/O panel out of the Gateway case and probably do a little work on the motherborad tray. Its not that difficult. But if you're not comfortable with that kind of work you might want to shop for a cheap case, too.

BHD

As soon as you said I'd need a new board I immediately planned on a new case as well. Gateway has some nice cases on their new stuff but the comp I have (E-2000) only has a 160watt power supply. It's micro-atx. Might as well get an ATX case with a bigger power supply since I'm spending the cash on the board.

Back