• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual P4 Board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Has to be the P4 Xeon... No suck thing as a dual P4...

Sorry....

I do build dual p4 Xeon's at the office (2.0's and 2.6 i think). They are pretty darn fast!

would you mind giving me a link to such document? Via is planning on realeasing a dual ddr p4 board, but i highly doubt that via would release a dual p4 (as in 2 pentium 4 procs) board.

What's teh difference between the P4 and a Xeon? Is it built in or is there a wee bit o' modding that can be done, just like on XPs to MPs? I don't think there is, but I'd love to hear differently. Paying twice as much for a Xeon doesn't make too much sense if there really is a dual P4 board coming. And if there is one coming, is there a difference between that and dual Xeons? It doesn't make sense that Via would make a dual P4 board now if it could have been done for years.

Z

you cant mod a regular p4 for smp use....your best bet is to wait 'til via comes out with the dual p4 board or build a dual amd

pip said:
VIA will put a dual p4 chipset into production q2 or q3 of this year

I'm skeptical. The P4 desktop is programmed to not work in SMP, and that cannot be overriden by the motherboard. Unless, of course, VIA plans to run the chips asymmetrically, which I think is a bit beyond them.

zachj said:
What's teh difference between the P4 and a Xeon? Is it built in or is there a wee bit o' modding that can be done, just like on XPs to MPs? I don't think there is, but I'd love to hear differently. Paying twice as much for a Xeon doesn't make too much sense if there really is a dual P4 board coming. And if there is one coming, is there a difference between that and dual Xeons? It doesn't make sense that Via would make a dual P4 board now if it could have been done for years.

Z

Xeons are a different chip, different pin-out, different socket, and even need different HSF's, The P4 does not do SMP, and I doubt very highly that VIA is going to make a Asymetrical MP system board! They could however build a dual p4 XEON MB...

No dual P4
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-001622-prd483.htm

Last edited:
Back