• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need help with a MB! :0(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bmxers21

Registered
Hi I just got a P4 2.4b C1, 512 mb XMS ddr 333 C2 2225 T1, Thermaltake Xaser II A6000 A Plus and a Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 420W, ( Active PFC ). Now I'm looking at what motherboard to get..

I was looking at:

ASUS P4PE/L $120.99

ALBATRON INTEL PRO IIS Retail (Silver PCB Board) would look good in my silver case ;0) $131.99

ABIT IT7 MAX2 ver.2.0 $167

Asus P4G8X DELUXE $229.00 arm and a leg.. :-0

so what do you guys think??
and if I waited for the P4G8x would I have to buy a twin pack of ram for Dual DDR and pretty much can't use the 512 $172 stick I have?
that would sux to pay $320 more for a 1GB of ddr ram..

I have a GF4 4200 128 8x too so I was kinda wanting a 8x board even though it doesnt do any good with the games out now..

any help would be great and I would like to OC as well thanks :0D

P4G8X - HardOCP P4G8X Review

The short of it is dual channel aint all that and the P4G8X is not an overclockers motherboard. No RAM frequency setting being the biggest flaw.

I would recommend the P4PE myself, but if I were you I would go for RAID/SerialATA. It's not that much more (like $12) but you never know when you might want to use a SerialATA drive. The P4PE has been a great overclocker in my opinion.

yeah I was thinking on that board too.... the P4G8x it alot of money for very little jump in speed and having all them goodies sitting at my house with me on my old P3 866 at 910 is looking slow lol.. and I wont have to get a twin pack of ram... heck with the money I save I could just about get a stick of 512 ram lol

I got the P4PE, and it rules, it's definitely worth going the RAID/SATA for that extra bit of money. My P4PE kicks tail. I run 400 frame folding units in a minute for each frame, and 200 frame wu's in 3 and a half for each frame. It's definitely worth the money. ;)
Doc

Sorry, had to edit it guys, I had some weird sentences in there.

bmxers21, you might want to post your question in the Intel® forum so you get some non-biase opinions.

I am also looking at the first three you mentioned. I'm leaning more toward the MAX2 ver.2.0. From what i've been reading it looks like that board on average can reach a higher FSB. Brett Wasserman had alot of good things to say about the Albatron in his review.

I have to look more into the Albatron. I've just been comparing the Asus vs Abit. (sorry guys, Abit is winning so far.)

My advice is to read through the forums and see what problems/success people are having with each board. Thats what i'm doing at the moment.

Good luck...

Hmm yeah.. ok I'll do that. I see alot of posts with heat probs for the Asus board..

Back