• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4PE on board sound. lock agp/pci and it dies. any insight?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngryKid

Registered
I am just trying to figure out why the onboard sound I am using on the p4pe doesn't work when I lock down the agp/pci divider in the bios.

I assume when you say "lock it" you mean set it at 66\33. There is a thread over at asus about this:
http://www.asusboards.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=34175

Basically according to this guys readings if you set the AGP/PCI to auto it never exceeds 37.17 which most devices should be ok with. So I would just set it to Auto and forget it.

Some Asus guys reply later about trying the 1003.006 BIOS as a possible fix but that is up to you.

oh i just got done reading the thread you posted.

i will try locking the agp/pci the way the thread suggests this weekend and will post here to let people know if it worked. i suspect it will....

Okay just set my overclock settings and left the agp/pci on auto. F10 out of bios and went back in after restart. set the agp/pci to 66/33 and the f10 again.

overclock is working as well as on board sound. no way of measuring my agp/pci speeds but oh well.

it has seemed to work so thanks for the info.

well worked fine that night.

powered down that night and restarted after work the next day. no change to bios just powered up. at 160 fsb the video card couldnt handle it and the screen went blank. reset to default in bios and everything is fine. i still don't think this thing is locking the agp/pci divider properly. i don't have any proof whatsoever though since i have no way of reading the frequencies of the slots.

video card = saphire ATI 9500

The link I posted in the second post of this thread shows that setting the AGP/PCI to 66/33 does in fact NOT lock them at that speed like it should.

AngryKid, did you try the BIOS flash like the Asus guys recommended?

Maybe I am not expressing myself properly. The very fine thread you posted in the second message on this thread acknowledges that changing (locking) the agp/pci in the SAME bios session as adjusting the FSB will NOT lock it to where you specify.

1-- This is what i was expiriencing, so i tend to agree.

The thread does go on to say that if you change your fsb and leave that bios session (F10). Then go BACK into the bios and lock the agp/pci the second session it WILL lock at that specified frequency.

2--I tried this and my card worked all night ~5 hours of gameplay and left the computer on overnight. played some the next day and then turned off the computer.

The very next time i turned the computer on the video card crashed almost right away. leading me to believe the agp/pci was not locked again. so i have no idea what is going on. I just run everything at stocks and wait to see if a resolution works itself out here or on the asus website.

**note**
my "testing" is really not empirical. I dont have a way to measure the frequencies of the various components, I just know my video card crashes at 160 FSB without the agp/pci locked.
so a "failure" in my book is card crashing and a "success" is the card not crashing. I know, I know, not scientific at all...

thanks for the time.

Sorry AngryKid, my last response was directed to Ec]-[oMaN who said to lock the bus when in fact that is the entire problem. And of course you dont have the equipment to test the bus. Quite honestly, I'm surprised anyone outside of Asus manually tested it.

As far as fixing the problem I'm not sure there is much we can do. I personally bought an Audigy for $50 when I bought the board because I assumed the onboard audio was garbage. I haven't had any problems but there have been 3 or so on this board alone report the problem.

I know it isnt the best suggestion but you could always buy another sound card. It sound like the onboard sound is kind of a weak link here, but that would be a non-issue if the bus speed selection worked properly.

yeah brian your right. oh well i am pretty happy as it is with my system and /shrug when it starts hurting for power in a couple years ill see if i can go farther.

later

BrianTaylor said:
Sorry AngryKid, my last response was directed to Ec]-[oMaN who said to lock the bus when in fact that is the entire problem. And of course you dont have the equipment to test the bus. Quite honestly, I'm surprised anyone outside of Asus manually tested it.

As far as fixing the problem I'm not sure there is much we can do. I personally bought an Audigy for $50 when I bought the board because I assumed the onboard audio was garbage. I haven't had any problems but there have been 3 or so on this board alone report the problem.

I know it isnt the best suggestion but you could always buy another sound card. It sound like the onboard sound is kind of a weak link here, but that would be a non-issue if the bus speed selection worked properly.
caugh i have 600 posts on asusboards and if you read carefully i said 1 above 66/33 so it would be 67/34 around there, most peices of hardware will run at that speed plz just set it 1 ABOVE from what i know it works best that way,also if you do what is said in that asus thread you HAVE to do this everytime you fresh turn on pc,so if you shutdown for a night and then but up in morning its all messed again, just set it one higher

yes that has been my expirience as well ec-oman.

Locking the agp/pci in a seperate session of BIOS editing than the session where you set your FSB does indeed lock the divider, however every time you restart you have to do the process again. pain in the neck atm.

wow if you have an asus that is the place to work the bugs out don;t think ive been to a forum where more good advice has ever been shared ....

Back