• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

good p4 board non-o/c'd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude_drew

I would just go out and get a board but there are just so many people here who like to argue over the best board. j/k. what would the best bang for the buck board be? I am looking for one that can support a 2.4 or 2.53GHz cpu, pc2700 DDR RAM, 5 or 6 pci slots, a 4x or 8x agp, at least 4usb ports. I have a sound card but one with sound couldnt hurt. I dont need onboard video. on my 600MHz PIII (which is burned out from the fan being unplugged for a week [you have to restart alot, getts the BSD bluescreenofdeath easy) board there is only 2 usb, serial, well I dont remember its my dads. but is without anyoptions all pci cards. I think I have everythinkg. Yes, I know the post is hard to read. oh well
any decent ideas? I was thinking on the P4PE so far. $121 from newegg.com.

If no overclocking is wanted the Intel P4 Motherboard D845PESVL would be a rock solid choice. At NewEgg for $108. It supports Hyperthreading, has good onboard sound and has a PC 2700 memory setting.

Have a look for the Gigabyte 8SG667 or the 8SG800. The 800 model is basically a newer revision of the 667 with HT support, firewire and not quite as widely available yet. About $80us at Mwave...$88 at newegg. A very good no frills solid performer...doesn't have hardware monitoring or voltage adjustments in rev 1.0, but many able to OC quite nicely to 160fsb despite lack of voltage tweaks. Has AGP lock and works very well with DDR400 and above.

http://tw.giga-byte.com/products/8sg667.htm
http://tw.giga-byte.com/products/8sg800.htm

Last edited:
The Asus P4PE is a nice board, but I'd get the Abit BE7 for $99 at newegg, or if you're really on a tight budget, check out the Albatron that uses the i845PE chipset for about $85 (I think).

Back