• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD to Intel - convince me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

totof

Registered
I am about to build a new system
(currently on kt266a mobo + xp1800 cpu + pc2100 ddr)

I have been looking to upgrade to a Nforce2 system and buying an XP2100+
with the AIUHB CPU, a good cooler and some PC3200 memory I am confident I could reach XP2800 performances.
but that's a new board, a new CPU, some new memory and some decent cooling...nice bill since I am also planning in getting an alu case.

So I thought "lets check the Intel alternative."
I have so far ignored anything Intel since I was happy with my system.

To my surprise, i found out that I could buy a P4 2.4B GHz CPU that should delivered as much performance than an XP2600 at the same price.

also I read that these CPUs overclock easily .... and far better than the XP2600 at default voltages.

now here's my question.

What motherboard and memory do you guys advice knowing that I will want to overclock this CPU a little (i.e. quietly and on air)?

thanks in advance for posting.

cheers, nice one.

You're 500% right.

Can't wait for may 2003 :rolleyes:

by then we should now which is the best "canterwood" option and also know what can you get out of the P4/800 chip.

Some serious happy gaming ahead my friends.

Last edited:
well you have already decided for the intel.
i was just ready to say that one thing I like about using Intel CPUs is being able to have an Intel chipset. :)

yes, I am an intel fanboy.
but this post could still worth you something on deciding for your new mainboard.
I would suggest you to take a look at some of the comparison reviews at Digit-Life.com.

welcome to the forums!

theres a great crop of motherboards coming very soon. from the springdale chips to the sis 658 and 655 chips. mate 1 of those up with good c1 1.8a and youve got a really potent combination. some of the 1.8's are crankin to 3.4-3.6 gigs on air! and the new mbs are promising memory bandwidth in the 4500's when clocked up. thats one heck of an incentive to jump over the fence into intel"s yard.....

thanks guys,

what about this canterwood thingy, it's supposed to be out in March as well.

canterwood= springdale + dual DDR400 :eek:

If I can't stop myself from upgrading when this chipset gets out I will probably get one of these "cheap" 1.8a while waiting for a nice affordable P4/800.

Well AMD has been good to me but what Intel will be offering soon might be too good to resist.

It looks like I am not the only one to think so

Last edited:
Argh! just when I thought it was safe to buy and that new products would be slow coming, I see that Intel is dropping a crap-load of high perf stuff in a month! Time to convince the customers to wait for 40 more days for a new system (and the R350)!

april ???

it was june, then may then april.

what makes you think it will be out in april.

you know something we don't ?

What is the exact day? My dad is seriously looking for an upgrade. His PIII 600Mhz pc fan got unlugged and fried the cpu. It suprisingly still boots. Its been like that for like 3 months. It gets the BSD (blue screen of death) often and he has to restart like every half hour. I need to know a date so he won't pay as much.

If you're really into overclocking and want guaranteed 800 Mhz+ processor support, here's a board for you. It should be out real soon. It'll most likely be cheaper than Springdale and Canterwood but won't provide quite the performance because it's not dual channel. But, if it overclocks as well as predicted, you'll be darn close.

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjsp/english/news/bh70214/bh70214.htm

Last edited:
Intel CPUs have a wonderful ALU and FPU.
I can encode some serious MP3 audio and DivX stuff like magic!
They are great for apps where doing major math/geom/physics calculations are a must for fast performance.

I/O

From the research I've done (sorry, I don't have the Links anymore).. the Springdale and 667FSB CPU's will be out in April/May, and the Canterwood stuff will be out end of Q3/Start of Q4.

WayneDolesman said:
From the research I've done (sorry, I don't have the Links anymore).. the Springdale and 667FSB CPU's will be out in April/May, and the Canterwood stuff will be out end of Q3/Start of Q4.

They are 667fsb chips, and I have read many times that the canterwood will be out around the same time as the new cpus.

Back