• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Canterwood boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It will do much more if this article is accurate.

"The successor of the E7205 (Granite Bay), the code-named CanterWood chipset will support [color=ff5500]dual Pentium 4 processors[/color] with 533MHz and 667MHz Quad Pumped Bus, 1MB of L2 cache and the Hyper-Threading II technology. The core-logic will feature ICH5 with Serial ATA support. Moreover, the platform will provide Gigabit Ethernet and dual Gigabit Ethernet controllers."

I'm an SMP devotee and this greatly interests me.

Full story:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/story.html?id=1035656883

i beleive that the canterwoods will support upto 800MHZ Quad Pumped FSB. That article might be a lil out of date..

lets hope it uspports HT II =)

raven

Yea that article is out of date :p

The Canterwood will support 800FSB and DC DDR400. And it will have a "turbo" option. I really cannot wait for this chipset, its time to put my rdram to rest :clap:

I beleive that it is a single cpu chipset

when Audioaficionado mentioned dual Pentium 4 processors , i think he meant that if a chip placed with HT in it, the bios or motherboard will recognize it as 2 separate processors

raven

I highlighted the part about "dual P4 processors" because that means at least two processors and hyperthreading was a separate issue according to the article. So maybe it will support both SMP and HT. HT is sorta like SMP but not really the same. I want SMP dual CPU mobo and if this chipset won't support it, I'll look elsewhere.

cack01 said:
What P4 core is supposed to have a 1MB cache?? If they are talking about XEONs, this board probably is not within our spending quota.

Prescott will have 1MB of L2...

i875 aka Canterwood should be out in late April (press release anyways) and is the workstation version of the i865 chipset AKA springdale.... so basicly it is a i865 with better memory preformance

I got a question regarding the use of DDR on the canterwood with P4/200FSb. WOuld it be better to use PC3200 or PC3500? Of course the system will be OC but will the PC3500 be able to run sync? Im used to rdram...

PC3500 is faster ram, so you would have a little more head room as pc3200 runs at 400mhz and I believe 3500 runs at 433. But it will work probably, it just wont be officially supported.

so what might be the estimated price on a canterwood? would anyone suspect if it would be more or less then say the granite bay boared? for example the gigabyte 8INXP

raven

Krowa 02 said:
PC3500 is faster ram, so you would have a little more head room as pc3200 runs at 400mhz and I believe 3500 runs at 433. But it will work probably, it just wont be officially supported.

My question is would it work sync or async with DDR433? Or is it sync if my entire system is clocked over 433?

raven said:
so what might be the estimated price on a canterwood? would anyone suspect if it would be more or less then say the granite bay boared? for example the gigabyte 8INXP

raven

The Canterwood chipset itself will go for appox. $50, about $10 more than the current 850E chipset.

Toscani said:

The Canterwood chipset itself will go for appox. $50, about $10 more than the current 850E chipset.

well what i was refering to was the actual boards.. here in Canada, the Gigabyte 8INXP goes for around 320$ and was just wanting to know if the canterwood would be more or less or around the same... since it is a server board, but it has a fewer layer PCB? i think.. so i was just curious

raven

Back