• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4PE with Asus Geforce3 V8200 voltage too high!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrandNubis

I just installed Asus smartdoctor for their agp cards and it is reporting 1.48v instead of the 3.30v it is suppose to be! Has me somewhat concerned... card temp seems to be ok and everything is working for the moment... in an attempt to correct this I upgraded the board bios to the 1003 beta 07 version... still same problem... I did a little more digging at the Asus webpage and found that there was a beta version of SmartDoctor that said it addressed an issue regarding the voltage readings... So I thought I was in luck! Now it is reporting 1.52v!! I checked my manual for any clues... it does say the board only supports 1.5v video cards! and even has boot protection when older agp cards are used... My card is 3.30v Asus Geforce3 Ti 200 Ultra(V8200)! Shouldn't it not even allow my system to turn on? Should I be worried about running with this card? I also tried a Geforce2 pro card I have... worked for a while and then I started getting some serious stability issues! and it was totally unworkable.. unfortunatly I did not have any sort of monitor programs for that card(seeing as it was one of the last geforce cards made by Creative) to see if it was running too hot or at the wrong voltage...

Also the Red AGP warning light is NOT on!

Any simliar experiences out there? Solutions? Please reply with any advice you might have.
Thanks

Last edited:
One other thing... The stock fan on the card broke long time ago and I have since upgraded it to a Blue orb... Which is NOT powered by the fan plug on the card itself...Perhaps the card isn't drawing the same 3.3v it did before and therefor it isn't triggering the proctection features/warning light on the MB?

Nowhere on the Asus website can I find where its says what voltage the Geforce3 V8200 video card uses? Is it possible this card has different operating voltages? The only reference I have for what the voltage is suppose to be is from the Asus SmartDoctor program!

I am using it right now and it is even OVERCLOCKED! GPU 175mhz to 200mghz, memory 400mghz to 450mghz

How hot is too hot for a GPU? Currently it is at 55c OCed

Last edited:
Ok, hmmm, Just installed the Asus Vgart drivers and now it is saying that the 1.52 voltage is within range! strange... I've been using this card for over a year and I dont recall ever having to install any Vgart drivers? Oh well problem solved!!!

I am just speculating here, but is the reading you are looking at the GPU core voltage? The GPU voltage would be different than the card runs on. Sort of like most of your motherboard runs at 12V while the CPU runs 1.5ish (varies by CPU).

The fan is usually a 12V fan, which means the card has to turn the 3.3V to 12V just for the fan (well, not just for the fan, other parts operate at 12V too). Unplugging the fan wouldn't change any voltages, but it would decrease the current drawn.

And GART drivers usually just allow you to control some AGP bus options. Unless your BIOS doesn't include these settings the GART drivers are usually unnecessary.

I think pretty much all cards GeForce2 and newer are 3.3V, so I'm willing to bet you have a 3.3V card with a GPU that runs at about 1.5V.

Back