• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Via Chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil Empire Inc

I got a ecs motherboard. I know it's a generic no thrills board, but can anyone fill me in on the pros and cons of the VIA chipset?

Thanks

That depends on the Via chipset. If you're talking about an old board using the Apollo Pro 133A chipset, then you have a board that is better in many ways than the Intel offerings available at the time.

But in my opinion things have only gone downhill since then for Via. The current P4X400 chipset is the worst you can buy for a Pentium 4. You can't overclock it, it has the worst reliability record that I've seen among P4 boards, and it has stability problems when you try to use an AGP 8X video card or DDR400 memory.

BHD

I am currently using ecs p4vxasd2+ with a 1.8 p4.

There are jumper setting to set the fsb 100/133 and I have it cranked to 133. It's putting the cpu at a steady 2.4. I cut a blow hole and mounted a fan/grill on the top of the box to suck out the heat. It's been rock steady since date of purchase.

The Via Chipset is P4X333A & VT8233A. If there are issues with this, i would love to know. I am tempted to buy another one for a second box, since I got a good deal on the cpu/mb combo for $160

Back