• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New MoBo on the way!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sghetti

Registered
Went to Insight Thursday and ordered a new motherboard and case. I will soon have a P4 2.4 w/533 FSB. The board is the Abit SR78x. It's nice and the Abit site gave a plethora of info on it. Always like that. The case is Kel Mid Tower w/400 PS. Should keep me happy for some time. OC ability AND I can upgrade as high as a P4 2.8 w/533 FSB.

It's good to be me!

Umm, is it too late to order a different mobo?

You're getting a SiS648 board, and that has a very poor history for overclocking. The highest speed I've seen reported with a 648 board is 160MHz, the vast majority of users run into stability problems between 150-155MHz.

If you get 155 you'll be able to get your P4 up to 2.78GHz. To reach three gig you'll need to run the FSB at 167, and I don't think that's going to happen with this board.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

BHD

Actually, I have no intention of OC'ing the board or processor. The amount I'm spending on everything is too much to part with due to an overheat. So I'll play it safe for now. Thanks for the heads up though. Not bad news to me, just good info.

;)

BaldHeadedDork said:
Umm, is it too late to order a different mobo?

You're getting a SiS648 board, and that has a very poor history for overclocking. The highest speed I've seen reported with a 648 board is 160MHz, the vast majority of users run into stability problems between 150-155MHz.

If you get 155 you'll be able to get your P4 up to 2.78GHz. To reach three gig you'll need to run the FSB at 167, and I don't think that's going to happen with this board.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

BHD

If you can even get that high. I have the MSI 648MAX. Its NOT a good o/c board.

Back