• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SiS 655 boards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

speedy4500

Anandtech has reviewed two SiS 655 boards (dual channel DDR333) and both (MSI and Gigabyte) have looked quite promising, besting Granite Bay and i850E chipset boards my a small margin, but at a lot less dough. Does anyone know when and where they will be on sale?

Should start seeing more of them sometime in March. The Gigabyte SINXP194 is available at Newegg for $230, but sold out. Remember that is their fully featued board...they also have the less stacked 8SQ800 Ultra and 8SQ800 versions as well. I'm hoping the 8SQ800 comes in around $130.

Waiting for some more reveiws of the Asus P4SDX...and seeing some other users 'test' the board as well.

I read that article a while ago I have to admit the MSI board sounds very yummy. Evan siad its the fastest P4 board he has tested.

In the interest of balance, it should be pointed out that the first reviews of boards with this chipset indicate the 655 carries on Sis' legendary reputation for overclocking.

If you're new to the game, this means they don't overclock worth ****. The review I read on the Gigabyte at OCWorkbench said the top FSB speed they were able to get was 143MHz with the Gigabyte power filter widget, and 139 without it.

The OCWorkbench review is here:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2003/gigabyte/sinxp1394/sinxp1394-7.htm

BHD

I have a buddy who wants me to build him a computer very soon. Right now plans are the Asus P4PE, but that MSI SiS 655 looks really really nice and I may have to convince him to wait a few weeks. If they can bring in a DCDDR P4 board for ~$150, I think they a lot.

Edit: that's odd, the Anandtech article had both SiS 655 boards OCing to about 163 FSB. There's probably a difference in how they went about the test, maybe Anand was using an unlocked P4 or more voltage?

Edit #2: The ocworkbench.com article says they took a 1.8A (100 bus) to 143 bus. At that point I'd assume the chip became a factor, no? Anand used a 133 bus and took it to 163 or so, which shows that both websites were able to overclock nicely, if not the best. Still, neither article shows enough about their OC testing procedure to draw an accurate conclusion.

Last edited:
I really think that excessive Vdimm is a non-issue with these motherboards. The memory speed is asynchronous to the FSB so you can just select the one that fits your bill the best. And it's dual channel. Some decent DDR400 sticks @ $130 per 512mb, juice it up a tad bit, and you've got yourself tons of bandwidth.

syntax_error said:
Waiting for some more reveiws of the Asus P4SDX...and seeing some other users 'test' the board as well.

Waiting for some more? Where have you seen any reviews for this board?

Thanks

syntax_error said:
Should start seeing more of them sometime in March. The Gigabyte SINXP194 is available at Newegg for $230, but sold out. Remember that is their fully featued board...they also have the less stacked 8SQ800 Ultra and 8SQ800 versions as well. I'm hoping the 8SQ800 comes in around $130.

The 8SQ800 is available now at newegg for $112!

conscript said:

The 8SQ800 is available now at newegg for $112!

Very interesting. Compared to Granite Bay offerings this is a very attractive price entry Point for Dual Channel P4 operation. If this board is ever confirmed to support 800fsb (through BIOS or OCing) we may have a winner. :clap:

ahh

i'll b gettin' the gigabyte sinxp the full featured one. 193 bucks shipped.

i'm still decidin' on a decent cpu seems only one i can afford for 250 bucks is the 2.4ghz 533mhz fsb version

soccrstar said:
ahh

i'll b gettin' the gigabyte sinxp the full featured one. 193 bucks shipped.

i'm still decidin' on a decent cpu seems only one i can afford for 250 bucks is the 2.4ghz 533mhz fsb version

I just got my SINXP1394 yesterday, and while I haven't oc'd any yet, I can say that it has been 100% stable so far running for the last 36 ours with SETI going, and the features are just amazing. I've never received a mobo with so many extras in it. In fact, the box is different from any I've ver seen. It's packaged morelike a deluxe video game box than a generic mobo box

soccrstar said:

I know that newegg has these on sale for 189 shipped!! Quite a deal i think.

Back