• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble overclocking P4PE w/ P4 2.53

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tarrant

Registered
See sig below for the exact hardware. I'm using a Swiftech MCX4000 with ASIII underneath it to ride on top the CPU. The hardware has been installed about a week and everything's rock solid stable at default speed and settings. The other day I upped the system to 3001 Mhz with a 3:4 ratio and did some stress testing with CPUBurn to put the processor at 100% usage. My inside case temperature stayed the same thru all the tests at 27.7 C. Here's temperature first...

At default CPU speed of 2533Mhz:
At Idle: 34 C
Under load: 40 C

Overclocked to 3001 Mhz:
At Idle: 45 C
Under Load: 53 C

Call me nuts but I don't think these numbers look all that bad. If they are then please let me know. Now for the problem...

When I first tried 3001Mhz, the system wouldn't boot so I upped the core voltage from default to 1.650. That fixed the problem and it's been stable for about two days with intermitent stressing and gaming. Last night, however, it spontaneously rebooted. So I upped the voltage to 1.675...system rebooted when I hit the desktop. Upped voltage to 1.700 and it locked up in CPUBurn.

I guess my question is what is the safest highest core voltage I should consider here and what else might I try to get this sucker stable? Thx for the help!!

I agree, sound more like a memory issue. Your FSB is set @ 158 correct? For me to run that FSB I had to go to 1.725 to be stable. I am not comfortabl going that high for everyday use. So I stepped it back to 155 @ 1.625. Don't forget the P4PE overvolts. So 1.7 is more like 1.75 - under load it drops to 1.7. For me I have gone to 1.75 in BIOS but for very short term use only. My comfort zone is anything under 1.7.

I agree I dont like anything over 1.7v I can get it stable at 3.08 but I dont like the temps to get over 45C under full load so I keep it at 3.02 usually with a 1.6vcore

Back