PDA

View Full Version : best way to remove bubbles from the waterline... (please post pics)



Kunaak
02-14-03, 12:16 AM
I am assembling my 2nd watercooling kit and my biggest problem seems to be just getting the large areas of bubbles out of the line so the pump can actually begin pumping the water.

I know sometimes I see people use a T connection between a line somewhere, to fill the line with water.

but I am unsure of how to do this properly.

basically, I need a highly reliable means of getting rid the bubbles in a line...:cool:

Crash893
02-14-03, 12:18 AM
tapping i guess

just flick it with you finger till you get enogh water to prime it and then run it with a t a the highest spot the bubbles will collect there

skahtul
02-14-03, 02:52 AM
There are a few ways to get rid of air in the lines. One is to add a reservoir, which is how I like to do it. Another way is to use your mentioned T-Line connector. It is very easy to install. Cut your line in half where it enters the pump, the inlet. Then just put a line on the top of the T, about a foot or so and maybe cap off the top of that line. It is really easy.

It can be found HERE (http://dtekcustoms.safeshopper.com/20/88.htm?384)

jbox33
02-14-03, 03:00 AM
I started getting my first watercooled system together lately and I tried the T-Line method. It wasn't working out so well for me so I decided to buy a resevoir. I got the Bay-res from Case-mods.com but I haven't put it together yet.

Does it matter how close your T is to the inlet of the pump? I think that may have been my biggest problem because the pump kept sucking the bubbles in and not letting them go up the line. T-line was onlt about an inch away from the inlet.

dutchcedar
02-14-03, 03:00 AM
Are you tilted your case to get the bubbles out of the "high line traps"? I just rock the case carefully until all the lines are filled, careful to get those little traps of air out of the radiator as well.

Turbokeu
02-14-03, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Kunaak
I am assembling my 2nd watercooling kit and my biggest problem seems to be just getting the large areas of bubbles out of the line so the pump can actually begin pumping the water.

I know sometimes I see people use a T connection between a line somewhere, to fill the line with water.

but I am unsure of how to do this properly.

basically, I need a highly reliable means of getting rid the bubbles in a line...:cool:

Make yourself an airtrap (http://www.turbokeu.com/mycomputer/myairtrap.htm).

Works very well, can be located anywhere in your loop (not only in the highest point)...
I made 5 of them, 4 where sold.

http://www.turbokeu.com/mycomputer/pc-70/pict0006.jpg

CD:)

Hoot
02-14-03, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by jbox33
I started getting my first watercooled system together lately and I tried the T-Line method. It wasn't working out so well for me so I decided to buy a resevoir. I got the Bay-res from Case-mods.com but I haven't put it together yet.

Does it matter how close your T is to the inlet of the pump? I think that may have been my biggest problem because the pump kept sucking the bubbles in and not letting them go up the line. T-line was onlt about an inch away from the inlet.

The bubbles will follow the path of least resistance. Having the Tee so close to the pump inlet may, as you have surmised, will make them just as soon be sucked into it as succomb to being lighter than water and rise up the trap tube on the Tee. The good news is even if they slip past the Tee, they come around for another try in a few seconds. Each pass will allow some more to rise up the trap and eventually they will work their way out.

Hoot

FIZZ3
02-14-03, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Hoot


The bubbles will follow the path of least resistance. Having the Tee so close to the pump inlet may, as you have surmised, will make them just as soon be sucked into it as succomb to being lighter than water and rise up the trap tube on the Tee. The good news is even if they slip past the Tee, they come around for another try in a few seconds. Each pass will allow some more to rise up the trap and eventually they will work their way out.

Hoot

I think the most important thing is to make sure there is a chance for all air to eventually end up in the airtrap/tline/resevoir top. Whenever the flow of water is so that it 'touches' the water surface, some bubbles will always remain in the the system. I don't think the air outlet has to be at the highest point in the loop either, though it may be a little more effective that way.

will_maltby
02-14-03, 12:31 PM
The best method I've found to get rid of bubbles is to leave the pump on over night with the resoviour cap off. This way, all the air trapped as bubbles can escape from the system.

If you don't take your res cap off, the air will remain in your system (in the air gap in the res) and can form bubbles again if your transport your pc.

You'll be surprised that just after one night you can eliminate almost all the bubbles.

I found this to be a very effective way of ridding the foam caused when adding water wetter.


Hope that helps.

h2sammo
02-14-03, 01:53 PM
Kunaak was saying he has a hard time gettin the pump to start.

You can always prime it by sucking some water through it, through the hose. When i say suck water through it I really mean it. Put your mouth on one end and suck water through it.

NeoMoses
02-14-03, 02:49 PM
I've had good luck putting my T-line directly after the pump. make sure you cap it before turning it on, or the water will shoot out rather than turning the corner. It seems to completely bleed itself in about 4-6 hours, and is very easy to prime the pump this way.

Here's a pic.
http://www.logiccooling.com/images/pump_tline.jpg

Enyo
02-15-03, 01:58 AM
okay. so if i got a resovoir where would i mount it. abouve the wc system and inline? so the whole system goes

PUMP -> RAD -> Manifold ->Res -> PUMP

or would it be better to have the RES connected to two Y pieces thus not inline

skahtul
02-15-03, 03:29 AM
First you will want the res in-line, one line going in and one going out. Or you can put the pump in the res, that is how I did my first one.