• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are some cool floppy Mods (if u have one)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Iv'e seen people put ultra bright LED's in them, and mold a clear center wheel so that it glows. Or just LED's in the front or side. Also seen a window in one.
Also seen a small fan in one.
Try a search on mouse mod and see what pops up.

edit: yeah I think I had one to many.

The only thing I've seen was that memory stick mod.
Other then that maybe an LED mod.
Not much you can do besides paint it.

Last edited:
there was a post somewhere on here the other day where someone ripped th einnards out of an old floppy and fitted a smartmedia reader inside it. That was pretty good

Step1: open up a floppy disk
Step2: take a handfull of match heads
Step3: Grind the match heads into a small powder
Step4: place the match head powder in the open floppy disk
Step5: glue the floppy disk back together
Step6: place floppy disk in floppy drive
Step7: Watch the floppy drive burst into flames when the disk spins up

or you could just paint it with neon paint and shine a black light on to it.

heh.. I have a 6 year old floppy that is semi working in my rig.. :) only part that I still have from the first computer I had that I could call my own.. :) getting rid of that would be a crime :D

HashX said:
The match sticks sound like one evil prank... exploding computers.... :mad:

somebody did that in high school, back in the day :) they just put the disk in the computer and left it for somebody to access the disk or whenever it would restart... bye-bye computer! apparently they found a couple others like it. they did a floppy search after the first one :) never found the kid that did it... i thought it was quite interesting... not that i would try it... :D

if you guys hate your floppy, donate it to me! :) i need one for my linux box!

i have two floppys in my machine

i kinda like the retro look it gives
i cant wait to be given a 5 1/2" floppy so i can mod it so its relly a DVD drive

thatl be one cool mod:)

i jst stealthed mine by turning it around and have it point back into the case...routing the wires was a pain in the @SS though...now i have to pull the panel off every time i want to access teh floppy drive...but since that only happens about once a month its ok...oh well at least i cant see it...

-M84:cool:

geeze, what's everyone got against floppy drives?

ugly? no uglier than a DVD drive, or a ZIP drive. useless? hardly:

1. try flashing BIOS without a floppy :D
2. reinstallation of windows9x (boot floppy, fdisk, format C:)
3. small, frequent backups: I use MS Money, something that is VERY important to me to keep a backup copy of. Full backup of 4 years of financial records, 3 checking accounts, stock account, money market accounts, etc etc etc----1 floppy disk! (~950k)

and they're CHEAP! drive ~$10, disks=I dunno, I got 2 large boxes of them FREE after rebates at Office Depot about a year ago.

(/ot rant)

modding a floppy: I painted the bezel of mine black to match my case. You could change the LED to a different color (I like the green, it matches my green case lighting).

nothing against floppy drives...they are usefull...but i cant stealth one without turning it around...at least not easily and both my disk drives are stealthed so it was the only way to go...yes they are very useful for the money

Back