• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frys Electronics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eplayer87

Registered
Does anyone do their computer shopping from Frys?
If so have you had any bad experiences with their products/customer service/etc.?
I have heard many rumors about how bad Frys is and I want to validate those rumors.

Thanks!

you just have to know a few things. Make sure it isn't a returned Item you buy. These are marked with a white sticker. (Sometimes not marked, Open and make sure it is new before you leave store) Do not expect the staff to be very knowledgable, Some are but they are few and far between. Keep your receipt. Keep an eye out for there sales and research prices of things you want before you go. The place is huge and there will be lots of things you want:D Return lines suck depending on when you go. Good Luck!

Imagine Fry's like a minefield, but there are peices of treasure all around it. If you know how to get through the minefield, to the treasure, its a gold mine

Oh, and ALWAYS get a raincheck, even if you dont want it right then! THEY CHANGE PRICES QUICKLY! That "great" price is only good for like 4-8 days!

The week after a game launche, they'll take 20 dollars off it usually. Hurry up and buy it. Right now, I got a raincheck on "C&C: Generals", and Im sad that I couldnt get it. But, Im hurrying to buy it 2morrow (even missing job training! :D )

Anyway, make sure its NOT OPEN. There has to be a reason they returned it, right? Always look for tampering. Also, usually YOU know more about the stuff then the employees ! The only help they can usually give you is to check if something is in stock!

They have a very nifty line system, where there are food and snacks on the way. When I was a kid, I could eat it in line, give it to the register, and they would scan the wrapper (even if it was already eaten) and I'd be on my merry way. They might not let you do that no more, but you can try.

Also, this is a secret.. They legally cant search you when you are exiting the store . They arent police officers, and they are searching your property (since you bought it, after that its YOURS. Its perfectly legal if it was still theres ). Usually, dont worry about going through it, but if its short , just do it, less trouble. If they try to stop you, keep walking. If they touch you, report that employee for assault (and dont spit or hit them, did you know spitting is assault? :eek: ).

Also, at the employee booth, always look at the picture of the guy if you really need help . Thats the guy you have to talk to, because he probably knows the most.

Im a Fry's veteran, I went to the first one in Southern California almost the day it opened. The same rules apply. Also, ALWAYS save the receipts. Alot of stuff there is returned (and it might not be obvious), so always be prepared to return it

Remember, the employees are there for a commission. If they want to "write something up" for you in the middle of nowhere, it gives them a commission for helping you (even if they didnt). You can just say no if you dont like them, or give it to them (to be nice, or if they were helpfull)

One more small word of advice, NEVER BUY ANYTHING WITH A REBATE. PERIOD. YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR REBATE!!!.

Outside of that, and everyone else's suggestions, they are a cheap (in both senses of the word) place to shop. Like Kmart for Geeks.

If you know which of the pencil to write with, you are probably a LOT smarter than the floor staff. Check everything before you leave the checkout counter. Everything!

I shop there a lot, and save some serious cash.

steve

Back