• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

googlegear urgh!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

No, I showered
Friday I ordered an Athlon XP 1700+ from googlegear. The site showed a picture of a Palomino core so I figured I was pretty safe. The CPU comes in today, and what do I have but a stinking Tbred A.

Not only is it not going to o/c worth a **** (which is a horrifying thing in my book), but according to MSI, tbreds of any type aren't even supported by my board (K7T Turbo Limited Edition).

I called them about it, and the cust service rep wasn't. Her attitude was basically that they didn't state that it was a palomino and that if I want I can return it, but I would have to pay shipping and a 20% restocking fee. So basically it's going to cost me at least a third of what I paid for it if I want to return it. Why bother? I'm going to have to question if I want to buy anything else from them in the future I think though.

Image shown is for display purpose.

Manufacturer SKU: AXDA1700DLT3C

Manufactured using AMD's state-of-the-art 0.13-micron copper process technology.

I'm not trying to put you down but with that information listed I would have called if there was any confusion or question.

Their Return Policy states a 15% restocking fee on refunds. I have used their 30-day return (15 on cpu) in fact it was slightly over 30 days and they credited my account the full amount (less shipping) which I used to purchase something else. Can you check to see if they have any other Palomino's, like the 1800?

Well, it became a moot point. I was able to trade it off, with some extra cash, for an XP 2100+ Tbred B that I've currently got running at over 2000 MHz and should be able to push 2300 or more pretty well.

So did you return to Googlegear and exchange up to the 2100+ or did you trade with someone else?

Good to hear you were able to get the Thoroughbred core working in your board.

No, I traded to my friend. I still haven't tried the tbred in my old MB, but from the info I gleaned from MSI's forums, someone HAS successfully gotten my MB to work with the tbreds. So it's reassuring that it's not at a dead end and I should be able to buy a CPU for it in a couple of months when I've got the extra funds.

I wouldn't recommend Googlegear. Tech people are rude as hell. When my mobo died, I called to figure what what could have gone wrong and according to the tech, I screwed it up and that I didnt know what I was doing. Me being mad as hell, I decided to return my mobo. They will take out 20% restocking fee. I asked them how they are going to restock a dead mobo and not service it. Bad people to deal with.

Yeah, I bought an ECS board from them too. It's got an intermittent no POST issue that I can't seem to figure out. It went into a computer that I sold to someone. They never replied when I put in a support ticket and neither did ECS. So now I get to go buy another board and replace it out of my own pocket. Guess I'll wait until I find a good deal at Newegg on a refurb, the figure out what to do with an intermittently bad board. Use it for myself most likely.

I mean, they're good on the pricing/shipping side, just don't try to RMA anything. From what I've heard I'm not the only one to have trouble with that.

I like Googlegear. They allowed me to return some memory I bought from them 35 days after I got it, and since I was replacing it with some other stuff they didn't charge any restocking fee. They would only credit me the current price on the RAM (not the price I originally paid) but that was not unreasonable.

I have had very good dealings with them so far. Good pricing and service. I got a bad stick of Samsung DDR memory that I'm in the process of sending back for testing. I hope that goes O.K.

hmmm there's someone on OC fourms who decided not to use newegg? wierd lol :p naw but ive used googlegear before, had np cause everything arrived working :D

heh but really dont trust pictures :D

I like googlegear a lot too, had to RMA a Radeon 9500, was fast and easy.
You can't complain about not getting the right version, if there is no guaranty to it. Its just like going to a hairdresser for the 20$ cutnstyle special, sit down and sleep and after you wake up to complain that you don't like what he did. Just give instuctions or ask for details first.
Oups, guess that my hairdresser example is not the best here on a most male forum ;) Well just replace hairdresser/special/ with cardealer/tuning special or whatever :D

A.

I learned my lesson. I dont buy from googlegear no more. Returning is a *****. Buy it from newegg. Haven't tried excaliberpc. I will in the future.

Back