• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To spend or not to spend , thats the biggy :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorganB

Registered
I have a 512 strip of nameless pc2700. I currently have it running at 180hz with aggressive memory settings and i need 2.95v to keep it stable. But the difference between 170 & 180 in 3dmark is fairly small so i dont plan on taking it much higher. With safe memory bios settings i think i can get close to 190 but the 3dmark would be almost identical.

Now my question is should I buy a strip of 3200 corsair and push for the 200s with full aggressive settings OR might i do this to suddenly find that all my peripherals go haywire because the 1/5 multiplier max i have is not good enough?

I have the money to spend, but there is no point if going from 180 to 200 makes my sound card freak out :)

thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

morgan

While as long as you have money to spend, just go to buy a strip of Corsair pc3200, you only have the upper side.

I wouldnt spend $150 just to get about 40fsb to 50fsb higher, get something else with that money like a new video card or even a processor.

I say get a new mobo. Then save up and get some ram. The 8RDA+ would do you nicely. Put the vcore up to 2.2 on that chip with the vapochill. :p

Getting new fraphics anyway but why would i need a new mobo?? I bought this abit like 2 days ago and im real happy with it. I have a 1 month old msi kt4ultra which sucks for overclocking but this board is excellent. The only thing missing is a locked pci bus and none of the boards selling in this country have that yet (or even a 1/6 divider).

And i really dont need a new cpu. The 2100 will probably take me as high as 2.6ghz (higher than i managed to get my 2400).

And in my opinion 40 or 50fsb higher is the whole reason we overclock. I mean 133 to 180 is a 47fsb overclock. If i get 50 more ill have doubled my overclock :)

My only worry is that if i get into the 200s my pci bus wont handle it having 1/5.

Back