• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR 3200 or 3500?? Is there a big difference???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poeta

Hi,

Now that I've decided to buy the new NF7-S v1.2 motherboard I'm now facing the daunting process of choosing the "right" memory for it.

So I'd like to hear your opinions on this issue: Will I notice a 'REAL' difference, other than benchmarks bragging claims, if I choose 3200(400) over 3500(433)?
As everyone else I’m hoping for a stable system and bigger bandwidth with the tightest settings with 200+ FSB.

I’m undecided between the OCZ and Corsair modules.
Either the OCZ433512EL or CMX512-3500C2. (These are the 3500 ones)

Difference is just what you said memory bandwidth and oc ability. If your going to spend that kind of money do it right get teh xms corsair. Most likely you'll be disappointed in the OCZ

I just ordered the Corsair memory yesterday, if you can hold off I'll tell you how good it is. But most likely it is better than the OCZ. Whats the price difference between the 3500 and 3200 Cosair memory? Because it might not be worth it.

i have one stick 256 xms 3500 and im buying another stick next week.trust me ive looked at other memory also.and everything out there is cheaper but im getting the same kind again.

here is some of my findings on a highly modded 8rda.
205fsb 1.9vdimm 2.0-2-2-5
217 1.77vdimm 2.0-2-3-7
202 1.9vdimm 2.0-2-2-2
i dont have the ability to go over 217fsb as i risk roasting my north bridge at 2vdd.
sure some twinmos does this good and even some hyperx but i feel more confident of getting what i pay for with xms 3500 or even the xms3200LL should do the same also.

i can also do vdimm mods to this mobo and run it at 217fsb at 2.0-2-2-5 but it isnt that much improvment at such a high fsb.

Is going above 217fsb that much of a risk with a vdd of 2v? If you lowered it a little, do you think you could test even higher fsbs? Or is it that if you lower the vdd voltage, you can't get that high fsb anyway?

vdd= north bridge voltage,and the stock voltage is 1.58v so 2v is really high and people have smoked mobos at lower voltage.

its a mod thats needed on the 8rda when high fsb doesnt happen normaly,increasing this allows higher fsb.mine did only 192fsb out of the box.

id would bet $$$ the ram will run alot higher than 217fsb especially if i added more votage to it,but the mobo just isnt willing.or it might be willing at 2.1vdd but im not willing lol

Yea I know what the mod does, but I was wondering if raising it a little higher than 217fsb is that much of an issue. If it's stable already, I'm sure you can raise it a little more. Still, I know the safe zone for the vdd mod is around 1.85-1.95, so you're pushing it a little, and I don't want you to lose your mobo by trying to get a few more MHz.

Just curious, how are you cooling your MOSFETs and the northbridge?

yeh when i try 218fsb i start getting screen flashes and my desktop acts funny.this is exactly what happened at 193fsb btw.so thats how i know ive topped out again.

ive also lowered it to 1.9vdd to be safe.
i do test everything i can to its limits and try and isolate that part while doing it.that way when something acts up i know whats cousing it and can find a fix faster.

oh man the mods? tons of them.im gonna borrow a webcam and try and post some system pics as it isnt finished but the mobo looks gorgous :D

i have the vdd mod done,i even cut the trace on the 16th pin on the cpu voltage regulater so it dont shut me down.
i have ramsinks on all mosfets,and a ramsink on my vcore regulater also.
i have a full size socketA hs/f from a retail package from amd on the north bidge.and i took the hs from that and its on the south bridge.
i have external water block mounting that grabs the socket lugs so its way tight working up on the top of the mobo.
ive also added a 80mm good cmf fan mounted to my case blowing on the ramsinks and vcore regulator.

now after all this guess what? my psu is crapping out! lol i did all those mods to push voltages as far as i could and no i can but its to much for a allied 300wt that just runs my mobo alone.i have a fsp 250wt running everything else,2 psu's total.

so newegg will be hearing from me in a week for a sparkle 400wt that will run the mobo by its self also.

as you can guess i do have a full tower server case lol

save yourself some money and get 3200 ram... the board has 1.7vdd only which means the absolute max you could do would be around 220fsb and that is with great cooling.

get some twinmos 3200 which uses 5ns chips. great great stuff. memoryx.com has it

I am impressed by my XMS PC3200. I have it at 221 right now, which seems to be the most it can do without giving me errors in Prime 95 and super pi. My vdd is at 1.92v. When i get my tax return I may try some PC3500 or a 2100+.

Back