• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geil PC 3700 512 DDr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nsgadmin

Registered
Need people's opinion on this, I got a really good deal hope it works out right. See Ordered pc3700 samsung ram from pcwonderinc.com. I recieved it really quick and then I realized it was damaged, it was only stable up to 140FSB so I called the company they said we're sorry about that, we'll exchange it for anything you want, so I asked if I could have the Geil 3700 and it's on it's way. :-D so i got 190 ram for 140 yay. Anyway. What I'm wondering is this, what do you guys think about it, have any of you tested or used it. I looked it up and reviewers have liked it so far some can get 250 FSB out of it, with right voltage and timings. THanks in advance

the hosting of 3dmark 2k3 was a great success for those that know what i'm talking about, next time we host a file it will prolly be CS 1.6 final or another prog that has much anticipation.

Buy it at your own risk!
I've wrote about this and OCZ ram until my fingers are numb.
Yet some people jump me over it.
Geil and OCZ are by the same company.
Most all their ram used in reviews is cherry picked.
When that company releases a new speed ram they usually cherry pick the first batches for reviews and send them out to distributers. So it is kind'of hard to get a bad review.
Short while later the problems starts.

Anyhow, from just the past day, here is just one who wouldn't listen and tried some Geil!
From the thread here: "A BIG Corsair ATTABOY!"

By electrotoys

"Yeah I bought some Geil for my AT7 Max2 and one of the 512's was bad. The other would only run at DDR266. This was DDR3200!

I reached deep and got 2 sticks of CMX512-3500C2 and viola the mobo is seeing DDR400 now. The price difference was $80 for the Gig og RAM.

The rumors are true, Corsair is the way to go."

Really it is NOT rumors but the truth. I know MANY MANY people who has had similar problems, starting with myself..... I know one person, at Christmas, who got 4 bad sticks of Geil in a row!
There are plenty of articles about this ram here.
Try doing a search on it.
So he learned the hard way.
Do you need to learn the hard way also?

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
if OCZ and GEIL were really that bad I think they would be out of buisness by now. I bet only like 10% actually have problems, and while they may have problems they seem to be getting better.

Also while corsair is known as the best, it also costs ALOT more then similary marked ram. Id go with the cas2 pc3200 at www.hardcorecooling.com alot of people are having good luck with it, and im running it right now at 215mhz 2-6-3-3 2.63v. This stuff is 115$ for a 512 meg stick, you can get practically a gig for like 15% more then 512 megs of corsair.

I've used alot of GEIL ram and it has never given me a problem, that one scandal really scarred them for life.

Geil is not owned by OCZ, case in point when was the last time you saw OCZ ram with Geil ram chips on it, Geil manufactures their own ram chips and are also one of the best in the business, Their ram will do more than it is rated for I have 4 sticks of Geil and 2 sticks of OCZ and the Geil 3200 will do 215fsb easily at fastest settings cas2-2-2-4-1T and the 3700 will easily do 230 240mhz at the fastest timings as well the 3200 is only the value ram to and its only rated at cas2.5-3-3-6-2T and my 3700 is the UL which is rated at cas2-2-2-4-1T so I hate to see anybody put either companies down or post false info OCZ is operated by a different company now and their customer service is some of the best just like Geil and by the way I'll put my Geil 3500 up against any other brand on me nf7-s any day of the week...

pctuner@amd said:
Geil is not owned by OCZ, case in point when was the last time you saw OCZ ram with Geil ram chips on it, .............(rest of the blah, blah, blah deleted)...

Just one itty bitty thing.
And it shows how much you know about what you're talking about.
Neither OCZ or Geil makes any of their own ram chips. Nor do they make the pcb boards they fit the chips on. All of it is purchased from other companies!

Just one more thing, I've seen copies of the files that proves they are owned by the same people. As many times as I've stated they are owned by the same people, if it wasn't true, then I'd already have heard from their lawyers!

So I'm sorry to bust your little secure bubble, but they are owned by the same people.

Mike
PS Now go tell electrotoys, who I quoted above, how good your Geil ram is! And then tell all the other people who has complained about them how good they are. And tell that person who bought 4 bad sticks of Geil ram how good it is! So you're lucky? Better lucky than good anyday!

Ok, lets not kill each other over this, I've read some reviews also and they say that the 3700 is really good ram, and seeing I can't find PC 3700 corsair. I'm setting up a 9 x 250FSB system so we'll see how that turns out. THanks for the opinions.

i highly doubt even 1 percent of us here could even effectivly test 3700 ram.
even 3500 is bit of a stretch too. many people talk about wanting 200+ fsb but in actuallity very few ever really make it with a stable system at 200fsb.
so pc3700 is almost impossable to be tested to its full capacity to tell if it even works or not.
you can always run asynch but that doesnt give a true test of the ram.

heres my opinion also. giel and ocz have a bad rap and they earned it.i wouldnt buy ocz 3700 if it was half the price of the xms3500.

and another fact of this is that ocz and giel will get buy selling crappy ram as long as people cant fully run/test its rated speeds.

btw far as i know 3500/3700 both are just overclocked 3200 anyhow.do you really think ocz has better r and d than corsair?
this would need to be true to have 3700 so that tells me one thing.ocz/giel stuff sux!

Mike360000 said:
...Geil and OCZ are by the same company....

Mike
nope, this statment and the feverish way in witch you defend it are just funny. theres plenty of "bad ram" out there. 90% of it tends to be misinformed consumers. how many kids run across a rug in wool socks and then grab there ram out of the static bag? aka "i bought pc3500 and its broken cause my atholon wont do even 210 fsb." if you go to the corsair forums youll see loads of these types of remarks, or any other forum for that matter. theres plenty of satisfied geil and ocz owners in ever computer forum

Too Late it's ordered, and from what geil says there pc3700 isn't oc'd 3200 or it wouldn't have 2 2 4 2 timings. well i guess it could, but unless you work for them you really can't say. I do plan on running 200+ and I have used corsair 3200 @ 220FSB stable with 24hrs of prime running so thats stable to me. There will be disatisfied consumers out there no matter what it is, I mean look at the video card market, the Ti4600 is still a very good card to own, yes the 9700 is better, but doesn't mean the 4600 is crap, now does it. It should be here monday and I'll post a response as to how it runs. Thanks for your opinions.

and i will be waiting for your review.

trying to decide my ram future with my new 2100+ 8rda+ system.

would like 1gb but corsair is so freakin spendy.

Well so far I'm @ 207FSB, I'm gonna find the chipset voltage hack for my board, so i can take it higher.

what voltage are you running right now?

and i assume thats 207mhz 2-2-2-4-1?

You can add one more disappointed person to that list i'm @ 202 @ 2.5 3 3 6 @2.8V That sux, I'm upset but I can't do anything about it now.

hm. well thanks for reporting your findings.

looks like corsair price gouging is the only way. :(

i hate when the best products are far more expensive than they should be. just look at plextor, nearly twice as much as the competition.

Aw, dang... shoul've got the OCZ. I've only once seen a geil buyer who was happy with what he got. OCZ seems to be a 50-50 chance. I've had bad ocz before, but I unintentionally got a good stick of OCZ recently. I really don't know how to rate ocz because of this.

nsgadmin said:
You can add one more disappointed person to that list i'm @ 202 @ 2.5 3 3 6 @2.8V That sux, I'm upset but I can't do anything about it now.
is this a amd chipset? maybe youve already said in this post but i missed it. ygpm

I have 2x512MB sticks of Geil PC3700 Ram, it is definately fast, but I'm also dissapointed, it doesn't like OCing at all, me and my roomate both just built new PCs, identical in every aspect other than the HSF and Ram, he went for 2x(Corsair CMX512-3500C2 512MB) and his ram OC's much better than mine. The next Ram I buy is definately going to be corsair, I'm just waiting for DDR II to come out and am going to try and sell my Geil and replace it with DDR II, thats assuming that DDR II will be compatable with my mobo...

I have another question on the Ram, its rated at 466Mhz, but I can only run it stable at 364Mhz from 364-400Mhz games get random errors and I'm sent back to my desktop or worse my PC restarts itself. I haven't even got my FSB to 200 yet and was just wondering if you have any suggestions or tips on how you got yours there? I haven't OCed much before so do you have any suggestions? if so info on how to implement them would also be appreciated while I'm probably an OCing newbie in most of your eyes ;)

currently I'm running mine at CAS2.5 6-3-3

Hmm I may have to do that, too bad about DDR II if it is gonna be a year or more, kinda curious if ATI is still planning to use it in the 9800 pro 256MB thats coming out soon...ok but back to my Geil RAM, for now I've at least got it running "fast" and stable, but not fast enough for me ;) I want to see how it performs at a higher FSB since "nsgadmin" got his stable @202FSB and my FSB is only at 136 right now.

Been trying to increase my FSB without frying my CPU, but I'm having a really crappy time trying to adjust my multiplier, I think the time has come for me to learn to edit/update bios myself, while my Bios doesn't have all the settings which so many people talk about tweaking. I DLed SoftFSB and installed Gigabytes easy tuner 4(came with my mobo), but the easy tuner(although it has the option to adjust the multiplier) it can't, so I'm thinking its locked?? if so is there any way to unlock it, I read some posts about unlocking AMD but whats the best way to get at the multiplier for a P4?

Back