• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston 512mb pc2700 valueram with Hynix chips question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wildfrogman

Has anybody that ordered from newegg the kingston valueram 512mb pc2700 for 74.50 recieved it yet? And if so, what chips are you gettting on then, results of overclocking and overall opinions on performance of the ram. I got it because i didnt need ram that was faster than 166mhz but would still like to know how good~bad this stuff is. And this is the codes of my ram chips for some info

Hynix 304A
HY5DU56822At-J
Korea
7A2060BCF

wildfrogman said:
Has anybody that ordered from newegg the kingston valueram 512mb pc2700 for 74.50 recieved it yet? And if so, what chips are you gettting on then, results of overclocking and overall opinions on performance of the ram. I got it because i didnt need ram that was faster than 166mhz but would still like to know how good~bad this stuff is. And this is the codes of my ram chips for some info

Hynix 304A
HY5DU56822At-J
Korea
7A2060BCF

i got 2 of them as a matter of fact. but i couldn't get them to run at 333mhz on my motherboard. i have an A7V8x mb, amd xp 2400+. it wouldn't boot up if i set them to 333mhz...but it would boot at 266. tried each one individually, same results. i called kingston tech support cuz my no name brand pc2100 centon memory would reach 292mhz no problem. they said they ordered the same motherboard i have and will run some tests on this ram. i'm supposed to hear from them tomorrow.

can anyone tell me why i can't boot up if i set this at 333mhz? is it because of my processor? but if i change the fsb of the cpu to 166, it still wouldn't boot up.

I have run memtest86 for 12 hours or a little more, it runs at 166mhz and relaxed timings but with 4 bank interleave enabled. Will not run at 1t or cas2 at 166mhz though. Ohwell, hope this helps out with finding how these chips perform.

it is only cas 2.5 ram so it technically runs within specs, and its only 66.50 at newegg now.

wildfrogman said:
I have run memtest86 for 12 hours or a little more, it runs at 166mhz and relaxed timings but with 4 bank interleave enabled. Will not run at 1t or cas2 at 166mhz though. Ohwell, hope this helps out with finding how these chips perform.

when you say 166mhz....that means you have it set to 333mhz, right, cuz it's times 2. (166X2=333).

Yes, 166mhz X 2=333 so your right on that.

Yeah.........go hyperX.....except we are talking about three times the cost, we are talking about people's experiences with KINGSTON VALUE RAM and sure.....if price was no object and we were talking about whats the best ram to go all out high speed them the hyperX or corsair~winbond etc would be good. But alot of people have motherboards that even a 166fsb overclock is a pretty big overclock and dont plan on going any faster. I hope this makes sense as i am trying to find out what people's experiences with the newegg kingston valueram 512mb pc2700 "special" are.

Last edited:
Yep, sorry about that, thought you were taking about the 3500 stuff. I have not seen reviews on the kingston 3000 stuff yet, only a few people that say it sucked and one that said it did ok. Find reviews for it and PM me if you want.
I have seen the 3000 kingstonX stuff at excaliberpc.com for 85~89 bucks...... odd to say the least.

Last edited:
Wow, that is a good deal on that sale over at eXcaliberPC! I just paid $60 for 256Mb stick of 3000 HyperX at Googlegear a few weeks ago. Anyway, it seems to do just as well as my Corsair XMS 3000.

Erm, now that I think about it, after $7 for shipping you're only saving $7 or $8 over Googlegear. But still a good deal.

Also, I have read quite a few posts lately, both here and over at overclockersforum.com about Kingston PC2700 value ram not being able to run at SPD defaults. Seems if they bump up the voltage and manually set relaxed timings they can get it to stabilize somewhat. I'm curious,... wonder what's "under the hood" of this HyperX stuff.

Maybe sombody could rip off the heatspreaders someday to find out? The kingston hyperX with the "headspreaders" may do more than just spread the heat, but rather sheild against EMI or such to limit crosstalk and interference. I have heard they dont matter much on high end pcb ram sticks but.....on cheapy pcb~on the edge so to say this may just have a pretty big effect on stability...or not as i havnt seen this tested yet on the "cheap" ram pcb. I may have to give it a shot, and maybe ground them to my case as well.

Back