• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1GB (non registered) modules in your lifetime?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, you don't want to confuse ECC with registered/unbuffered, since they are two separate attributes of RAM. Not that you often see registered memory that isn't also ECC, but oh well. ECC shouldn't hurt anything just because the RAM has the feature, since it is generally controlled by BIOS settings. I *hear* that mixing registered and unbuffered sticks is a major no-no, though. (I really wish they would settle on one adjective, but for now 'registered' and 'unbuffered' are the terms used for the presence and adsence of the "buffered-ness" attribute.)

Crucial has unbuffered 1 GB PC2100 DIMMs, but they don't seem to have higher speeds available in 1 GB sticks at all.

The charts on the page you linked indicate that speedy DDR is expected in both unbuffered and registered versions at 1 GB capacity. It will probably be available non-ECC as well, but I wouldn't worry about that. Unless someone knows otherwise, I'll suggest that ECC will never be a problem.

No chance of 1gig sticks running in nforce. It only supports up to It supports 4X32, 8X32, and 16X32. It does not support 32X32, which 1 gig would be.

Hmm, maybe I'm wrong. I know most boards do NOT support 1gb sticks, even the newer ones. I'll have to check again.

Back