• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A7V8X BIOS ROM Help.......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goodie

Ok, I didnt know where to put this but because the BIOS chip is a memory chip I figured memory is a good place. So MODS forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

I have a Asus A7V8X mainboard. It has a feature to Speak during the POST instead of the standard beep most computers do.
The problem I am having is programing the memory to do this. I load up the Winbond software and select the english voice. I then tell it to write it to memory and I get a MessageBox that says

Rom Size => 847456

Now this wouldnt bother me because what I think it's telling me is that my BIOS ROM is that size, but what does bother me is that this number changes every time I remove some of the speech or add speech to it.

The next screen I get is another MessageBox that says

FlashSize => 1048576

Now this has to be the size of the Flash file with the voice stuff on it that i want to program into the BIOS.

Now with all that said I understand that the Flash Size is bigger then the ROM its self and could never fit the info . But what I don't get is that if I remove sounds from the list of sounds the FLashsize file should get smaller right. Well the file that gets smaller is the ROM Size and the Flashsize stays the same size. Shouldnt the Flash size get smaller and the ROM size stay the same?

If anyone here has this mainboard and can help me please post. I have been trying to get this BIOS chip to flash for a week now. :( I have the Speech enabled in the BIOS settings on bootup , so i know it's not that. I have a speaker hooked up to my computer and I get a post Beep instead of the woman speaking.
If you need more info or don't underdtand what i just rambled on about, please let me know and I'll try to figure out a way to explain it better.

what bios version do you have?

also, i noticed that you have the kingston memory. is it 2100 or 2700. i purchased 2 sticks of 512 2700 but it would not boot up if i have it set to 333mhz. did you have to do anything special...change any settings?

with regards to the voice/speech....i was planning on loading that too but the girl's voice wasn't sexy enough. it's an extra feature that's nice to have but not necessary. plus i was reading in the asus board that the speech would give errors while booting like "no memeory installed" but the system would still boot up. not sure if there's a bug but it doesn't seem to give accurate info.

iced g said:
what bios version do you have?

also, i noticed that you have the kingston memory. is it 2100 or 2700. i purchased 2 sticks of 512 2700 but it would not boot up if i have it set to 333mhz. did you have to do anything special...change any settings?

with regards to the voice/speech....i was planning on loading that too but the girl's voice wasn't sexy enough. it's an extra feature that's nice to have but not necessary. plus i was reading in the asus board that the speech would give errors while booting like "no memeory installed" but the system would still boot up. not sure if there's a bug but it doesn't seem to give accurate info.

I think my Ram is 2100. It only cost me $200 for 512 megs.
As for my speech problem, well I had a Certified comp teh come look at it( sucks cuz im in college to be a tech) and he couldny figure it out either. He did everything I had done. I knew I should have went with an Abit board, damnit!!

Back